The Chattanooga, TN for the 2021 Fig Frolic
Events like these make such a great opportunity not only to acquire great fig varieties but also meet the amazing people you normally read about or chat with thru social media, forums and the likes.
Our friends Angel Miller and Co-Host Ian Matthews have put a fun and amazing event for all fig collectors, from new hobbysts to experts in the field of figs! Events like these make such a great opportunity not only to acquire great fig varieties but also meet the amazing people you normally read about or chat with thru social media, forums and the likes. It is also a fun experience with games and even auctions and giveaways. This particular event WILL BE HUGE! According to Angel, everyone is invited and I've seen events like these with members flying from all over the U.S. I know for sure many Southeastern members will be joining and reserving their spot for sure.
Here is all the information provided exactly as Angel posted it:
•** WHITE ELEPHANT** – How it works: Each participant draws a number. The person who draws number 1 goes first and selects a fig tree to take home…or trade. Number 2 goes next and so on. We hope everyone will be able to leave with a fig tree of their own to take home and grow. The only way this will work is if our veteran figgers bring extra trees to donate for this. Set air layers or start cuttings now. Make certain that the variety name and your name is attached to each tree you bring. If you do not have a tree to bring, no worries. We got you covered.
• **EDUCATION **– Topics, speakers, and schedule will soon be released
• FIG SWAP – If you have trees you want to swap, bring them with you. Make certain the variety name and your name is attached to each tree you bring. We will have red tags available to hang on any tree that you do not want to trade. [FYI…as a courtesy to Ooltewah Nursery, no selling please.]
• SHOPPING – Ooltewah Nursery is allowing us to host this event on their 16-acre property. ONLC is the largest garden center within 75 miles of Chattanooga, and has twice been named the top garden center in the Southeast. The nursery wants to welcome you by gifting attendees with a special coupon for our group only. Plan to come early and shop before the event starts. Wear cool comfy clothes and shoes for walking. You will receive your coupon when you check in, so don’t check out at the nursery until you check in with us! Nursery hours: Sat 8:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.; Sun 12:00-5:00 p.m. EDT. (Coupon will be valid for either day.)
• BEVERAGES – Beverages will be provided, such as bottled water, assorted sodas, and sweet or unsweet tea, as well as ice and cups. Feel free to bring your own if you prefer, or order some fresh kombucha from the caterer.
• FOOD – Boxed lunches, or bring a brown bag. Purchase your boxed lunch HERE. https://my-site-103858-103651.square.site/fig-festival The caterer will deliver the lunches at noon. The deadline to order is Aug 21, 2021. We are also hoping to do a fig-tasting, so if you have ripe figs to share, feel free to bring them. If you know the variety name, bring that, too.SCHEDULE:
9:00-9:50 – Welcome! Check-in and drop off your fig trees for the White Elephant.
10:00 – Workshop: Speaker & Topic: “TBA”
10:45 – Break
11:00 – Workshop: Speaker & Topic: “TBA”
11:45 – Break; Caterer arrives with Box Lunches
12:00 – Lunch & Mingle
12:30 – White Elephant (continue enjoying your lunch)
1:00 – Speaker & Topic: “TBA”
2:00 – Stay and hang, like a ripe fig, as long as you wish.GENERAL INFO:
ADMISSION – Free, of course, but pre-registration is requested so that we can plan for seating, refreshments, etc. It will also greatly speed up your check-in upon arrival. Pre-registration is available online. Once you register, you will receive tickets by email. Print and bring those with you, or just show us the QR code on your phone. We will scan it, and you are checked in. REGISTER HERE: https://app.tickettailor.com/events/figfrolic/511432#HOTEL – We have a block of rooms reserved at the SpringHill Suites by Marriott. We have negotiated a discounted group rate. The deadline to reserve your room is Aug. 6th, or until the block is filled. We recommend that you do not delay in reserving a room as we have been told that there are two softball tournaments happening the same weekend and rooms are already limited. This is a newly built hotel that includes hot breakfast buffet, parking, Wi-Fi, and more, and is less than a mile away. To reserve your room, click **HERE **https://www.marriott.com/reservation/expiredSession.mi or call (423) 301-5669 and ask for the "Fig Frolic rate"AIRPORT – Chattanooga has a great airport only 11 miles away. If you are looking at flying in, our airport code is CHA. Airlines servicing CHA are Delta, United, AA, and Allegiant. Airport website: https://www.chattairport.com/COVID – We will continue to monitor the pandemic situation as it changes. This event will follow the CDC’s guidelines in place at the time of the event.