What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

A Memorial

Shaft

12 years ago I was working in a small diner in a place called Farmville when two dogs ran across the road nearly getting hit in the process. One was a bulldog, the other a tiny brendel dachshund. My coworker and I grabbed them and placed them in his truck expecting somebody to claim them. No one did, not for one shift, or the second. He took the bully home with him and I did the same with the dachshund.

He was so tiny he could fit in the area from my wrist to fingertips. Scared, he clung to me the whole 45 minute drive home, though he would later come to love riding in a car. Upon arriving at my parents' house where I lived at the time, my step-dad found me outside with this dog trying to crawl up my shoulders, back and neck, scared by the barks of my parents' dog Roscoe. They would later become good friends, though Roscoe passed a few years ago.

My step-dad thought I had brought home a monkey. I had always said I wanted one and it was exactly the sort of thing I might do. He came outside to confront me, and when he found out it was another dog he told me I couldn't bring him inside.

My mom, who hadn't been home until now, arrives, sees the dog and within 20 seconds of meeting him has opened the door to let him inside. She would call him Shorty, but I named him Sinbad like the explorer he was. He would love to run off, though he always came back, his longest trip lasting 3 days and requiring my step-dad to help patch up his battle scars. We tried everything, from multiple electric fences, an outside kennel, this dog could even escape using my backdoor, which is what happened around 4AM this morning.

This dog was so funny. Sometimes he would pretend one of his back legs hurt for attention and hold it up, walking on three legs. When that one got tired he would just switch legs. Whenever he went to the bathroom, he would scratch at the ground behind him to cover it up whether he did business or not. He was a very private old man, but don't let that fool you. He could jump three or four times as tall as he was while standing flat footed. When he was excited you knew it because he would jump around like a doggie on a trampoline.

He loved to eat, but his teeth were going bad. We had to soak his dog food in warm water to help him chew. He was beginning to go blind, but he was and always will be my puppy.

He got out this morning. My fiance found him on her way home from work, hurt badly on the side of the road. She brought him home for me. I've spent all morning rubbing his cold fur saying goodbye, wishing it was a dream. I just finished burying him and washing his blood from my hands.

I wanted to memorialize him, to celebrate his life and his love for me. I was very fond of him as well. So I selected my tallest fig tree of high quality and planted it on top of him. I selected a Figo preto to bury my best friend beneath.

I'm a mess right now.

Attachments

• 20220128_092515.jpg
    20220128_092515.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220128_092633.jpg
    20220128_092633.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 2

Rigo007

Administrator
Oh man..., I'm so sorry for your loss. I too have developed a very close bond with my dogs. I think you did good putting him to rest where you did. Your passion and the tree will always remind you of him.

Shaft

Oh man..., I'm so sorry for your loss. I too have developed a very close bond with my dogs. I think you did good putting him to rest where you did. Your passion and the tree will always remind you of him.
Thank you man.

Paulo Oliveira

Newly Registered
Registered
Figo preto tree may achieve very tall dimensions. An old tree I use to take cuts it has about 9 meters high

reb.yavner

Newly Registered
Registered
12 years ago I was working in a small diner in a place called Farmville when two dogs ran across the road nearly getting hit in the process. One was a bulldog, the other a tiny brendel dachshund. My coworker and I grabbed them and placed them in his truck expecting somebody to claim them. No one did, not for one shift, or the second. He took the bully home with him and I did the same with the dachshund.

He was so tiny he could fit in the area from my wrist to fingertips. Scared, he clung to me the whole 45 minute drive home, though he would later come to love riding in a car. Upon arriving at my parents' house where I lived at the time, my step-dad found me outside with this dog trying to crawl up my shoulders, back and neck, scared by the barks of my parents' dog Roscoe. They would later become good friends, though Roscoe passed a few years ago.

My step-dad thought I had brought home a monkey. I had always said I wanted one and it was exactly the sort of thing I might do. He came outside to confront me, and when he found out it was another dog he told me I couldn't bring him inside.

My mom, who hadn't been home until now, arrives, sees the dog and within 20 seconds of meeting him has opened the door to let him inside. She would call him Shorty, but I named him Sinbad like the explorer he was. He would love to run off, though he always came back, his longest trip lasting 3 days and requiring my step-dad to help patch up his battle scars. We tried everything, from multiple electric fences, an outside kennel, this dog could even escape using my backdoor, which is what happened around 4AM this morning.

This dog was so funny. Sometimes he would pretend one of his back legs hurt for attention and hold it up, walking on three legs. When that one got tired he would just switch legs. Whenever he went to the bathroom, he would scratch at the ground behind him to cover it up whether he did business or not. He was a very private old man, but don't let that fool you. He could jump three or four times as tall as he was while standing flat footed. When he was excited you knew it because he would jump around like a doggie on a trampoline.

He loved to eat, but his teeth were going bad. We had to soak his dog food in warm water to help him chew. He was beginning to go blind, but he was and always will be my puppy.

He got out this morning. My fiance found him on her way home from work, hurt badly on the side of the road. She brought him home for me. I've spent all morning rubbing his cold fur saying goodbye, wishing it was a dream. I just finished burying him and washing his blood from my hands.

I wanted to memorialize him, to celebrate his life and his love for me. I was very fond of him
I am sorry for your loss. Your memorial is beautiful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg