What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

An Exception?

Shaft

Back in 2011-2012 when I first entered the competitive world of StarCraft 2 -- I'm a former esports player and event organizer, as well as broadcaster -- I was warned by some friends who were professionals in the industry. We were hanging out in a Sheraton hotel room, partying but in a small and quiet fashion, and the most prominent player there, let's call him Bryce, told me to watch out. He saw my energy, how I was coming onto the scene fast, and he told me to be careful. I thought of StarCraft, of eSports as a whole really, as this magical, fantastic place, where everyone would be grateful for the opportunity to live such a lifestyle, and all toxicity would eliminate itself rapidly. Bryce, a player beloved by the community, told me that just wasn't so, that it was a dark place and you always had to watch your back. He warned me that people you thought were your friends were only waiting for you to turn your back before they slip in the knife. He warned me that the rule was most entities and individuals were corrupt, and everyone, EVERYONE was dirty, the overwhelming majority. And everyone pretty much agreed with him, but they each individually thought "Well, I'm the exception."

My reaction to this information was to grow angry, over an extended period of time. Every time I saw something that wasn't right and bit my tongue about it, I was reminded by Bryce's voice chiming in my head. Each time, evidence was fed into my confirmation bias, saying "This isn't right. You should say something. Someone should do something" but I didn't. I bottled it up until one day it exploded out of me, and that anger which had been seething for such a long time flowed out of me. That was the beginning of the end, and I thought "Well, I'm the exception." Larger, more established organizations rained hell on our organization, and former friends turned their backs and created distance on the few people who remained but we persevered. We held our heads up high, proud of our achievements, until the very end, which came when I found out I was going to have a son.

I can't help but notice some parallels in the fig community to this story. I'm not going to name names, or point fingers, but every day I see something new that makes me think maybe StarCraft and figs aren't so different after all. I can't help but notify you that it saddens me, a lot. I guess that's why they say never meet your heroes. I guess this is why people say "Be the change you want to see in the world." I guess it's up to me, and those who read this and agree, to change this community for the better. Or hell...maybe we're just fooling ourselves, thinking "Well, I'm the exception."

I don't even know any more but I know what my goal is. I hope you'll join me in trying to provide the best possible experience for each person in this fig community, here on the Fig Spot, but in other fig communities as well. Let's be the exception. Thank you.

iZz-eSwkG8JceASeXaUgiuUP_HfQ_CjUtYMGIhUUtOcSDQ0T0llOJF46MXRuABCpEQ7pq5wong8Eoyo7tlAAf2YW7LS3ZsiemUe1RfZsUUATjUnCEvjyNhrFPlgKwxvF3KI1RBKcw-AOYZyUWxKjCYZvJLLTEIhyuIg

Last edited:

Rigo007

Administrator
Oh I am so with you on this one. I've been blocked, banned and all from many places. All because I have no problem taking out the trash. When they hurt, it's because they are doing things they shouldn't be doing or guilty conscious.

Shaft

Oh I am so with you on this one. I've been blocked, banned and all from many places. All because I have no problem taking out the trash. When they hurt, it's because they are doing things they shouldn't be doing or guilty conscious.
This might have been inspired by something I saw on your page recently :)

Rigo007

Administrator
This might have been inspired by something I saw on your page recently :)
No my friend, it is multiple things I have experienced first had from corrupt websites to big sellers and the list goes on.

Figology

Fundamental
Kudos for posting this. I’m new to the fig game, about 3-4 months now, but I quickly caught on how unaccepting parts the fig community can be. It’s ironic considering the other popular domain was created because 2 members were banned from another.

There are a lot of unwelcoming and unaccepting folks in the fig community. I noticed that relatively quickly. I refer to them as a Fig Gang in my mind. (There’s some cool one’s too)

I’ve had more than a couple posts closed, on another forum, because I asked the necessary, uncomfortable for some, questions no one else would ask. I found that to be immature and clannish. I will not support such immature behavior and untrained moderation.

Thank you Shaft and Rigo for not being afraid to stand up to bullies and for your dedication to the betterment of the Fig Community.

Shaft

No my friend, it is multiple things I have experienced first had from corrupt websites to big sellers and the list goes on.
I mean to say that my post was inspired by yours.

Kudos for posting this. I’m new to the fig game, about 3-4 months now, but I quickly caught on how unaccepting parts the fig community can be. It’s ironic considering the other popular domain was created because 2 members were banned from another.

There are a lot of unwelcoming and unaccepting folks in the fig community. I noticed that relatively quickly. I refer to them as a Fig Gang in my mind. (There’s some cool one’s too)

I’ve had more than a couple posts closed, on another forum, because I asked the necessary, uncomfortable for some, questions no one else would ask. I found that to be immature and clannish. I will not support such immature behavior and untrained moderation.

Thank you Shaft and Rigo for not being afraid to stand up to bullies and for your dedication to the betterment of the Fig Community.
Thank you. I know it's been slow getting active members to the forum but it's sure to come soon. We can't be the only people who feel this way. In fact, I know we aren't. It's just a matter of hitting critical mass at this point. Just three or four more active daily users would be enough to get the snowball rolling into an avalanche.

The way it normally works is you get 1-3 people who create threads, seed threads. Usually they don't get many responses, but visitors trickle through. You'll see this user, then they'll come back in a month. They don't check often, and if they don't see constant activity, they come back even less often. The goal is to snag 1% of those trickling users to stay, then you have a diverse range of viewpoints to create discussion. Once multi-perspective discussions begin, it's much easier to keep the trickling users as well.

Last edited:

Figology

Fundamental
One thing I noticed: The other website has 3k+ subscribers, but no one can cancel or delete their account (I tried). Moreover, that means the member number is one that will never decrease. I would bet less than 10% of existing members log in regularly and even less that post threads or comment. Don’t let that member number discourage you.

If you continue to build, the members will come.

Shaft

If only people like @Evdurtschi had some time for us.... :unsure:
Eric's a great guy but I think he's dealing with the California situation, and all the nonsense associated with it. I think that one thread really put a bad taste in his mouth. I haven't heard much from him since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg