What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

Been lurking log enough

One Eyed Bob

Newly Registered
Registered
Hello to all from Southern Ohio. Haven’t posted till now. Totally new to figs; learning a lot already, am sure I’m going to kill a few cuttings, if I haven’t yet. Getting for first up potting. Wish me luck. 🤞

Rigo007

Administrator
Welcome to the forums, Bob. We all learn from the bottom and eventually get better with time. Good luck with your cuttings.

Shaft

Hello to all from Southern Ohio. Haven’t posted till now. Totally new to figs; learning a lot already, am sure I’m going to kill a few cuttings, if I haven’t yet. Getting for first up potting. Wish me luck. 🤞
I've killed plenty of cutings. Best thing I can recommend is find a cheap source of cuttings, like brown turkey in my area. Practice, try many different wild things. Get a feel for weight of cuttings when wet, and when dry. I like to weigh each cup I'm propagating in when it's fully saturated, and before I saturate it, while it's still completely dry. I write both weights on the cup for later. Makes watering easier, and watering is one of the bigger issues.

Before you up-pot, make sure your figs are passing the 6 leaf rule. 6 leaves of moderate size or better, or a container that's drying out every few days cuz it's drinking too much water. Those are two good reasons to up-pot.

One Eyed Bob

Newly Registered
Registered
Too
I've killed plenty of cutings. Best thing I can recommend is find a cheap source of cuttings, like brown turkey in my area. Practice, try many different wild things. Get a feel for weight of cuttings when wet, and when dry. I like to weigh each cup I'm propagating in when it's fully saturated, and before I saturate it, while it's still completely dry. I write both weights on the cup for later. Makes watering easier, and watering is one of the bigger issues.

Before you up-pot, make sure your figs are passing the 6 leaf rule. 6 leaves of moderate size or better, or a container that's drying out every few days cuz it's drinking too much water. Those are two good reasons to up-pot.
late Shaft. I was bitten bad by the bug. Bad. Tried direct pot method first, then went to figpop. Much better results on rooting. worrying now about up potting and will will take your advise on leaves and drying out. Patience is not one of my better virtues. Thinking about putting pop bag over tree pot so I don’t have to disturb the cutting till I pot in larger pot. Thanks to everyone on the Blog. I’m learning so much!

Shaft

Too

late Shaft. I was bitten bad by the bug. Bad. Tried direct pot method first, then went to figpop. Much better results on rooting. worrying now about up potting and will will take your advise on leaves and drying out. Patience is not one of my better virtues. Thinking about putting pop bag over tree pot so I don’t have to disturb the cutting till I pot in larger pot. Thanks to everyone on the Blog. I’m learning so much!
There's always next time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg