What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

Caliper of Cuttings?

Shaft

What thickness do you like for your cuttings? i've heard the gamut, from people who only want the newest growth from this year (i.e., tiny, scrawny little things) to people who would be happier with a log than a conventional cutting. I find I myself fall into the latter camp, preferring only the THICKEST of cuttings, but I'm curious to hear about your opinions. What thickness do you prefer your wood, and why?

245396074_738396200894420_7596382401515935520_n.jpg

Rigo007

Administrator
Some people don't like them that thick but also, they don't like them too thin. Can't satisfy everyone...

Figlover58

Fundamental
1/2inch to 3/4 inch are almost 100% easy rooting for me.
What thickness do you like for your cuttings? i've heard the gamut, from people who only want the newest growth from this year (i.e., tiny, scrawny little things) to people who would be happier with a log than a conventional cutting. I find I myself fall into the latter camp, preferring only the THICKEST of cuttings, but I'm curious to hear about your opinions. What thickness do you prefer your wood, and why?

245396074_738396200894420_7596382401515935520_n.jpg
Those are great cuttings, those are the ones I like, even though I have root thinner ones.

Getfiggywitit65

Fundamental
My thoughts, well they are just that, based upon what I have read, the thicker cuttings should have the capability of providing the nutritional requirements of propagation for a longer period should the rooting take longer to establish based on a multitude of environmental factors.

Shaft

My thoughts, well they are just that, based upon what I have read, the thicker cuttings should have the capability of providing the nutritional requirements of propagation for a longer period should the rooting take longer to establish based on a multitude of environmental factors.
Yeah, it seems to be so, at least slightly. The main benefit I find is that when they do finally root (and it seems to take them longer) the growth explosion is insane. You get a lot more vegetative growth in a shorter span of time than with the smaller cuttings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg