What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

Cherry Cordial Fig IS A Crazy Grower

Rigo007

Administrator
This variety is unique in many ways. Seems to be a palmata hybrid, frops most figs the first couple of years (atleast for me it did), easy to root, vigorous and huge producer. Best part is (for us Southerners) that the figs do very, very well in high humidity and rain. Here are a couple of pics I took today to show you guys how loaded this tree is right now.

20220301_085546.jpg 20220301_085550.jpg 20220301_085554.jpg

Shaft

Definitely on my list :) I got cherry bourbon thinking it was cherry cordial way back when I first started. Kind of similarly confusing names lol.

Rigo007

Administrator
I was afraid of this... :confused: This variety, as it has done before has started dropping all its figs. About 80% of them. It's weird because some collectors, including myself have ripened a few in the past. I'm hoping it does better throughout the years or I'm afraid it will have to go.

20220312_070829.jpg
20220312_070847.jpg

Attachments

• 20220312_070927.jpg
    20220312_070927.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3

tlbluestone

Fundamental
This variety is unique in many ways. Seems to be a palmata hybrid, frops most figs the first couple of years (atleast for me it did), easy to root, vigorous and huge producer. Best part is (for us Southerners) that the figs do very, very well in high humidity and rain. Here are a couple of pics I took today to show you guys how loaded this tree is right now.

View attachment 1346 View attachment 1347 View attachment 1348
Reduce the amount of figs when young plus dab olive oil on the eye. See if that doesn't work for you in the future. Another thing is if the container is cooking from absorbing to much heat may cause it along with the incorrect amount of moisture being applied when watering. Put it on a schedule of the same amount if possible. This is my opinion and seems like what could be happening.
Good Luck

Shaft

Some figs like pastiliere (and maybe Celeste? The jury is still out) are partially parthenocarpic when young meaning they will drop fruit when young but grow out of it.

I would try tifblue's recommendations but mark those figs with a colored band or string. Compare to those you don't do anything to

Figology

Fundamental
Definitely on my list :) I got cherry bourbon thinking it was cherry cordial way back when I first started. Kind of similarly confusing names lol.
I’ll send you one when I get some growth.

Rigo007

Administrator
I had to go back and edit this post https://www.ourfigs.com/forum/figs-home/802955-dont-let-the-looks-fool-you-cherry-cordial on Ourfigs. I posted the following update on there:

Sad news, my Cherry Cordial put out a huge harvest. However, it has dropped 100% of them. I dont know what it is about Florida but it is fruiting again and I'm hoping this next batch holds on. I've been in contact with Evdurtschi on this variety, showing him what's going on. It sure has me confused. These dropped figs were mostly main crop and the ones coming out now are all main crop.

Some fig varieties here do produce figs multiple times a year so it's no surprise this one is doing just that. The question is, will I get a set of figs that will stay on the tree? If it doesn't, im afraid it will have to go. Below are some pics of how loaded the tree was and how they started turning color just before and after they fropped.
image_147443.jpg image_147442.jpg image_147441.jpg image_147440.jpg image_147439.jpg

NoireDeB

Newly Registered
Registered
Reduce the amount of figs when young plus dab olive oil on the eye. See if that doesn't work for you in the future. Another thing is if the container is cooking from absorbing to much heat may cause it along with the incorrect amount of moisture being applied when watering. Put it on a schedule of the same amount if possible. This is my opinion and seems like what could be happening.
Good Luck
I just acquired one thanks for this info

backyardfigs

Fundamental
Couple things I have noticed about Cherry Cordial. The stems / new growth are weak. Takes longer than the normal fig tree to harden IMO. Another thing is they love water and I mean love, planted mine in low area just to suck up water. The thing I like the best is the size the leaves can get. Spades can get very large.

Shaft

Couple things I have noticed about Cherry Cordial. The stems / new growth are weak. Takes longer than the normal fig tree to harden IMO. Another thing is they love water and I mean love, planted mine in low area just to suck up water. The thing I like the best is the size the leaves can get. Spades can get very large.
Try wrapping a salmon in one of those huge leaves and baking/roasting it. Delish!

backyardfigs

Fundamental
Thanks for post. My CC grows like a weed so fast. I love the large leafs. I have had the same problem. I will tell you this... this tree sucks water like an elephant, More than any fig I have ever seen. I mean a good 3x more water consumption. Possible it does not get enough water and drops fruit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg