What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

Cull list this early?

Rigo007

Administrator
I know it's very early in the season for many but here in South Florida, you can already know which varieties have worked and which have not. Specifically when these trees are a couple of years old and you have seen how they react to such hot, wet and humid climate. Unfortunately for me, there are 3 varieties which will definitely be culled and no longer spend time in my collection next year. The 3 varieties, as of this posted date are:

Bourjassotte Grise: We ate some good figs off of this variety. It has a very unique flavor of spice and peppers. Slight sweetness and crispy skin. Similar to Socorro Black but Still trialing Socorro Black as it seems to do better in this climate (its faith is still unknown). As soon as it rains heavily, Bourjasotte Grise explodes wide open and invites all creators and bugs to it. Does not like heavy rains for not even 1 day.
image_122262.jpg

Smith: What can I say..., it has simply not been a sought after variety for our family. I know..., some will hate my opinion but I am known for being shout out and ruffling up some feathers. That said, this variety is horrible, atleast for us. With or without rain, it just hasn't been a good tasting fig. When it rains, it literally squeezes like an orange letting go of a puddle of watered-down honey out the eye and if not picked soon after any rain, it will mush on the tree.
image_122261.jpg

CDD Noire: So sad to let this one go. We got to taste a few perfect figs out of this variety last year. They were so good my daughter and I said it was one of our favorites! Good size, soft skin, strong sweet/berry taste and had a mild, scrumptious seed crunch which we enjoyed very much. However, it does not like heavy rains or much of it at all. Easily begins to spoil if it gets 3+ days of straight rains or splits.
image_122260.jpg

As you can see, the trees are larger in size, healthy for the most part with little rust and loaded with figs. These images were taken after the rains had stopped today and I had pulled off all the bad figs. I'm in the fig game to find varieties that my family will enjoy, not for the name of it. It hurts me to get rid of them but it must be done for my purpose. I don't want an ornamental tree, I want a good producing variety which will do well with or without rains. I do not cover soil, put plants in storage or any of that to keep a variety.

The good thing is that I am also finding out which varieties do well here (some we don't or won't keep). Some handle longer periods of rain much better while other varieties aren't even faced by them. Some are top notch not because of their name but because of taste, productivity and handling of this climate. Those are the varieties we enjoy and are going to be up-potted to much larger containers next year.

I hope you all collect figs because you want what works for you not the other way around. Here are some pics of some figs we've been eating off some of these varieties.
image_122263.jpg image_122264.jpg

Newbie2figs

Fundamental
never got to taste Smith or acquire it , is it that good that I need to add it to the collection 🧐

Newbie2figs

Fundamental
not a lot here but this year was so bad that I ended losing like 15 varieties that I didn’t have back up too, the freeze had killed another 15 before all the rain , so been a crazy year and my baby Smith was one of the trees that died because it still hadn’t established itself with the roots in ground when I got hammered with a type of flood .. So will
Have to acquire it again with Haa 29
Others that I had no back ups 🤭😢

sheergenius

Fundamental
I know it's very early in the season for many but here in South Florida, you can already know which varieties have worked and which have not. Specifically when these trees are a couple of years old and you have seen how they react to such hot, wet and humid climate. Unfortunately for me, there are 3 varieties which will definitely be culled and no longer spend time in my collection next year. The 3 varieties, as of this posted date are:

Bourjassotte Grise: We ate some good figs off of this variety. It has a very unique flavor of spice and peppers. Slight sweetness and crispy skin. Similar to Socorro Black but Still trialing Socorro Black as it seems to do better in this climate (its faith is still unknown). As soon as it rains heavily, Bourjasotte Grise explodes wide open and invites all creators and bugs to it. Does not like heavy rains for not even 1 day.
View attachment 6

Smith: What can I say..., it has simply not been a sought after variety for our family. I know..., some will hate my opinion but I am known for being shout out and ruffling up some feathers. That said, this variety is horrible, atleast for us. With or without rain, it just hasn't been a good tasting fig. When it rains, it literally squeezes like an orange letting go of a puddle of watered-down honey out the eye and if not picked soon after any rain, it will mush on the tree.
View attachment 7

CDD Noire: So sad to let this one go. We got to taste a few perfect figs out of this variety last year. They were so good my daughter and I said it was one of our favorites! Good size, soft skin, strong sweet/berry taste and had a mild, scrumptious seed crunch which we enjoyed very much. However, it does not like heavy rains or much of it at all. Easily begins to spoil if it gets 3+ days of straight rains or splits.
View attachment 8

As you can see, the trees are larger in size, healthy for the most part with little rust and loaded with figs. These images were taken after the rains had stopped today and I had pulled off all the bad figs. I'm in the fig game to find varieties that my family will enjoy, not for the name of it. It hurts me to get rid of them but it must be done for my purpose. I don't want an ornamental tree, I want a good producing variety which will do well with or without rains. I do not cover soil, put plants in storage or any of that to keep a variety.

The good thing is that I am also finding out which varieties do well here (some we don't or won't keep). Some handle longer periods of rain much better while other varieties aren't even faced by them. Some are top notch not because of their name but because of taste, productivity and handling of this climate. Those are the varieties we enjoy and are going to be up-potted to much larger containers next year.

I hope you all collect figs because you want what works for you not the other way around. Here are some pics of some figs we've been eating off some of these varieties.
View attachment 9 View attachment 10
Did you cull these yet? SO sad to here because i heard so many good things about all these varieties.

Shaft

Did you cull these yet? SO sad to here because i heard so many good things about all these varieties.
Yeah hearing stories of people culling always makes me sad, even though I believe in Bill Mollison's three phases of abundance. One of the phases is trialing... you know you're going to lose about 75% of what you buy, but you keep (and propagate) the ones that do really, REALLY well.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMOLRsUyGKs&ab_channel=StefanSobkowiak-ThePermacultureOrchard

sheergenius

Fundamental

Rigo007

Administrator
Not yet but I will at the end of the year after I sell a few cuttings. No reason to keep so many trees that do very bad in my climate. I will be keeping about 5 we have enjoyed and about another 5 we are still trialing. Sell and dump is next.

sheergenius

Fundamental
Not yet but I will at the end of the year after I sell a few cuttings. No reason to keep so many trees that do very bad in my climate. I will be keeping about 5 we have enjoyed and about another 5 we are still trialing. Sell and dump is next.
Awesome. Im willing to purchase some. where do you sell?

Figs4all

Fundamental

View attachment 6

View attachment 7

View attachment 8

View attachment 9 View attachment 10
Thanks for posting your thoughts on this. I am struggling with the decision to cull some varieties and it helps to hear your story. What are the varieties that work for you so far?

Shaft

Thanks for posting your thoughts on this. I am struggling with the decision to cull some varieties and it helps to hear your story. What are the varieties that work for you so far?
I think since figs depend so much on regionality, this is one of the benefits of having a list of who is growing in which area (and maybe even why it should be recommended to place your location and/or zone in signature). We can see who is growing through the same issues we are, and how they're overcoming it. We -- Figs4all, myself, Rigo and others -- all have similar climatic conditions that we can compare to, find out which varieties do well.

What figs are doing well for you @Figs4all?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Scianna