What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

fig identification?

jas

Fundamental
Can someone help me identify this fig? I live in zone 7A ( barely south of 6B) and without winter protection some years it freezes off but always comes back from roots - most years it does not freeze off . As long as it did not freeze off the year before , I get a heavy breba crop in late June/early July (well over 100 figs this year) and a smaller crop in late September. If frosts to the ground it always comes back but I only get one crop. It is 10-12 years old and about 12 feet high but looks more like a bush than a tree due to multiple years freezing off when it was smaller. It has not frozen off for the last 4 years -maybe more mature- maybe just luck of the draw. I knew very little about figs when I first bought this and did nothing to help is survive winter but it prospered anyway. I have a lot more figs now but most of my other stuff is still less than 3 years old.

It was supposed to be a Chicago Hardy which it is not. (Unless it was grafted and this is the base fig left after freeze offs?) It is yellow green when ripe and pulp is kind of amber with a little reddish cast. I haven't enough experience to compare taste to other kinds but it is sweet and juicy and we love it. No crunchy seed taste. I was researching and I think maybe kadota? But I see some pictures of kadota which seem to have redder pulp that this? Any ideas? I doubt its anything exotic.

Attachments

• fig1.jpg
    fig1.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 7

Shaft

Can we get a photo of the leaf by itself, and another of a bisected fig, separately? Hard to tell from the angle and lighting much about this fig, I'm sorry!

ATM I can tell you it looks like a adriatic but maybe that's just the lighting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg