What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

Figger from NC

Fig bandit

Newly Registered
Registered
Hello everyone,
I'm from NC in zone 8a
Back when I was a kid we had a pear tree and a fig tree and the pears were my favorite. I wanted to have more plants that provide food other than just the pear tree (at the time I didn't like figs at all) so I started doing a LOT of research finding out what trees could grow here and what conditions were needed. I started learning about tropical plants and how I could grow them researching and designing a grand biosphere. Then discovered permaculture (when I was around 14 or 15) and was determined I was going to plant a Food Forrest in my parents yard.... well that didn't work out.
In 2016 i was out of town for the month and my dad cut the pear tree down and didn't tell me. I was devastated. I've never been able to find a pear that even comes close to tasting like it.
Fast forward to 2019 and I meet my best friend and introduce the idea of the Food Forrest and he eventually circled back to the video I sent him on permaculture by Geoff Lawton, when the Covid was just starting to pick up in the world and food supplies were running out. He took it and ran farther than I ever imagined. And he happened to have a fig tree which was a different kind than mine, I never really learned much about figs because I wrote them off as all the same. He forced me to try one, I fell in love with it. The difference? It was ripe but not too ripe. I learned soooo much more because of my interest in something that tasted so good. Now I am still learning but also have the ability to do the things I have for a long time wanted to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg