What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

First Attempt at Rooting Figs!

Shaft

I actually have a Pastilliere cutting that was started on 11/29/21 that has rooted and budded with a few juvenile leaves forming now. However the later season varieties are just barely starting to show any signs of rooting. View attachment 1082
I hope the Pastiliere stays alive for you! :) I had a couple make it to leaf stage then just die on me

Getfiggywitit65

Fundamental
you too man. All year round is rooting season for me :) I'm new to winter rooting, usually I do spring and summer rooting.
I've heard that you can root year-round and there are many methods to utilize but I like yourself am new to rooting in general, but as it is most cuttings become available in the fall/winter months. After I establish the varieties that I have, it will allow me to experiment with other methods to determine what is best for my environment. Here's to the next generation of fig-fanatics.

jmrtsus

Fundamental
Many indoor growers like to grow in the dark initially.....I prefer a balanced leaf/root approach. I'm sure the rooting still works out the same in he long run. Find a way that fits your lifestyle, $$ to play with and your time commitment. I like free and carefree so jelly jars and water on the window sill works well for me. Others may think it is old fashion. But it works the same as a clay cup in the sun 2000 years ago. Lights, timers and gnats......been there done it with no better results that my window and no gnats.

Getfiggywitit65

Fundamental
Update to "First attempt at rooting figs", the fig pop method. 1 month in. The first thing that I noticed was the first of the varieties to root were those so-called early varieties such as Malta Black, LSU Scott's Black, Improved Celeste, Red Lebanese, Marseilles Black, Black Jack, Black Greek and Hollier. There are others but to give a general profile the what I have as a result of the method that I used. 20211229_115231.jpg

Rigo007

Administrator
Nice varieties. Thanks for the video. I was finally able to find some small-fine bark to root in. Gonna start some today.
I've been going crazy looking for fine mulch with no luck. I don't need it for rooting but to add to my mixes instead.

tlbluestone

Fundamental
Many indoor growers like to grow in the dark initially.....I prefer a balanced leaf/root approach. I'm sure the rooting still works out the same in he long run. Find a way that fits your lifestyle, $$ to play with and your time commitment. I like free and carefree so jelly jars and water on the window sill works well for me. Others may think it is old fashion. But it works the same as a clay cup in the sun 2000 years ago. Lights, timers and gnats......been there done it with no better results that my window and no gnats.

tlbluestone

Fundamental
Any way that produces a healthy crop of new plant life works for me. I use a wet paper towel wrapped around the cutting in a 1 gallon plastic ziplock baggie until I see roots forming, then I put the cutting in a see through plastic throw away cup. Come spring I will put them in nursery containers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg