What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

First Post, What is this mystery fig? Hamma?

direcraft

Newly Registered
Registered
Hello everyone. I'm a long time gardener and run a permaculture design business as my side hobby job. 2 years ago i stumbled on a a tree that is roughly 15-20 feet tall that an elderly lady owns. she claimed it was moved from Italy with her grand father. This variety seems to be hard to come across.

• the fruit skin is green with a red/brown tint, at least double the size of brown turkey figs.
  • foliage seems to be a give away to me because of the subcordate lower on the tree.
  • This thing has been acclimated in zone 7A for over 20 years and it was said that it froze out 2 times and grew back from the roots quickly.
Would love more info! would consider swapping trees also!

Ben

Attachments

• fig starts.jpg
    fig starts.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220529_152343.jpg
    IMG_20220529_152343.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210526_171733.jpg
    IMG_20210526_171733.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5

tlbluestone

Fundamental
Hello everyone. I'm a long time gardener and run a permaculture design business as my side hobby job. 2 years ago i stumbled on a a tree that is roughly 15-20 feet tall that an elderly lady owns. she claimed it was moved from Italy with her grand father. This variety seems to be hard to come across.

• the fruit skin is green with a red/brown tint, at least double the size of brown turkey figs.
  • foliage seems to be a give away to me because of the subcordate lower on the tree.
  • This thing has been acclimated in zone 7A for over 20 years and it was said that it froze out 2 times and grew back from the roots quickly.
Would love more info! would consider swapping trees also!

Ben
That would require a guess and I would never want someone to guess what the name of one of my fig plants is. I would just say Unknown as that's the truth I feel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg