What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

First time fig grower in need of help

Kevin

Newly Registered
Registered
Hi Never joined one of these before hope I do it right. Just moved here 2 years ago and bought 5 acres and planted my first fig tree in the ground. The fig is called a LSU Purple. Is this a good fig tree?

Rigo007

Administrator
Welcome aboard, Kevin. LSU Purple, in my opinion is an ok variety. If you don't mind me asking, where are you located?

Kevin

Newly Registered
Registered
Where can I buy a Raspberry latte fig tree or a Sequoia Black fig tree, in Fort Myers ?
Do I to get one shipped to me from Rigo Farms ? How is that done?

tlbluestone

Fundamental
Welcome aboard, Kevin. LSU Purple, in my opinion is an ok variety. If you don't mind me asking, where are you located?
Kevin welcome, I have that fig tree and it's around 3 years old now. I'm told the figs take a couple of years until they taste like a caramel flavor. I've only eaten figs two years so maybe I will see that flavor this year.

Shaft

LSU Purple is a fine fig. Not the greatest, but not as bad as trying to eat a capri fig either. What makes LSU Purple special is its resistance to rootknot nematode. Do they have them there in Fort Meyer? If so, you'll be very pleased. Take cuttings from it and clone it, then graft onto those for best results.

There are some great places to buy fig trees online.

garymc

Newly Registered
Registered
I have an LSU purple and I like it. Well, I have about 3 of them. I layered it and then air layered it to plant in a different area.

Magnafico

Newly Registered
Registered
I like it a lot, cold resistant, great fig when we have lots of heat here in nj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg