What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

For in-ground fig, in a 60 gallon hole, should I line the hole with anything? Or pour soil mix directly into hole?

MyGrowSupply

Newly Registered
Registered
I am going to plant a Boysenberry Blush directly into a 64 gallon hole I dug, in the corner of my yard.

Should I pour my soil mix directly into the hole? Or place something like a Grassroots no-till fabric pot inside the hole, and then fill it with my soil mix?

I'm wondering whether I should place it inside a pot, to prevent vine roots and other nearby plants from "stealing" nutrients from my nutrient-rich soil mix.

I'm in San Diego (10a), in Southern California, and the soil here is pretty nutrient poor, its hard packed clay and sand mixed with rocks for the most part.

Shaft

I would advise you to avoid using a nutrient rich soil mix, for a number of reasons. The most relevant is that you're crippling your tree. You're killing it with kindness. When you plant a tree, part of the process is getting it to spread its roots out and establish well, particularly in windy areas like mine. In order to do that, you plant in the same soil that surrounds it, otherwise it has no reason to spread its roots to go search for nutrients. The roots will wrap and wrap and wrap around that hole until it chokes itself out, sooner rather than later in all likelihood.

Side dressing is often used with trees, in order to encourage the tree to push the edge of its roots farther, with compost.

The only way I'd plant inside of a fabric pot is if I was planning on pulling the plant up in the winter and taking it inside.

Does your soil drain well? If so, just do as I have recommended here. If no, we need to revisit. You still have good options.

backyardfigs

Fundamental
Throw some bricks in there with peat moss and bone meal. No need for a pot or etc hard clay is a boundary by itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg