What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

Great Success in my first year!

Getfiggywitit65

Fundamental
This past fall/winter, I attempted to propagate my first fig cuttings, looking back, I must admit that success is a product of effort and preparation. Mistakes were made but for each failure an opportunity to gain experience from it existed. My initial thought was to utilize the "fig-pop" method and going forward I plan to continue using that technique but with a few modifications. There are many components that in the proper amounts provide great success in growing figs and other fruits, however when improper amounts of even the required nutrients, sun, and water will result in negative production and sometimes death of your valuable cuttings and young plants. 20220331_075856.jpg 20220331_075944.jpg

One Eyed Bob

Newly Registered
Registered
Tell me more Getfiggy. I also started last fall and have had my ups and downs with more failures than successes. Started direct pot, went figpop, then shoebox, with problems in each method. Currently dealing with up potting. Looks like you did a lot right along the way. Congrats

Getfiggywitit65

Fundamental
Tell me more Getfiggy. I also started last fall and have had my ups and downs with more failures than successes. Started direct pot, went figpop, then shoebox, with problems in each method. Currently dealing with up potting. Looks like you did a lot right along the way. Congrats
Hey One Eyed Bob,
From my experience the fig-pop method requires the amount of time that I feel that I can devote without having to sacrifice time from other areas. The key, is sanitation and the proper level of moisture and temperature approx 75 degrees, too wet and you'll rot your cuttings, too much heat you'll grow mold before roots. The other key is to maintain a humid environment to prevent desiccation of the cuttings before they root. Another thing that I found out is to water the pops from the bottom so make sure that you punch holes in the lower third of the bags that allows uptake of water and also allows oxygen in the root-zone to prevent an anaerobic condition and mist with a sprayer to maintain humidity, do not use tap water, too much chlorine. I hope that helps, here is a video link that will help.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqTk_K9PHMY&t=57s

Getfiggywitit65

Fundamental
Rigo007,

Thanks a lot, I did do pretty well, however, I did have an issue rooting I-258 and Smith so I did what any self respecting figman would do ....I bought 2 rooted cutting in those two varieties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg