What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

Hello all

Itsmekdh

Newly Registered
Registered
Hi all, just moved to central FL but I have a small Chicago Hardy that I brought with me. Hoping to dive into fruit trees but I live in military housing so gotta pot em. Any advice on what ph is best? I've read everything from 6.5-8 is fine but please tell me your experience! Would love any pointers as I'm just getting started😊

Shaft

I'd go low PH and top off the top with oyster shells, which tend to be alkaline. That'll bring you somewhere in the middle. Oyster shells were made popular with figs by Belleclare nursery, whom used granulated limestone on their plants. Oyster shells do the same thing, which is what they advocate in Ocracoke, to lower the PH and add calcium and other nutrients. Remember, figs come from the meditteranean's volcanic soil.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJEX-oPtfF4

I disagree with some of the advice, like mixing in stones or bark for drainage, but these are the experts.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg