What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

Hello from NC

Firefly

Fundamental
I grew up in NJ, when I moved and got a house in 2018 and first thing I did is plant a fig tree in my yard.
Glad to find this forum!, looking for a better fig plant.

Shaft

I grew up in NJ, when I moved and got a house in 2018 and first thing I did is plant a fig tree in my yard.
Glad to find this forum!, looking for a better fig plant.
What type of fig are you looking for?

Firefly

Fundamental
I have no idea, I didn't even know there was more than two types to begin with. so the Hardy Chicago I have is growing well, one issue is it rippens late August, also I get inconstant flavor, some are real good others not so good, the best tasting ones are when the fig gets so fat the skin start to crack. also I am competing with the birds and ants, I don't want to pick them too early, so I got netting over part of it.
so questions: when should I prune it? what methods best to keep ants from climbing it? does it help to water it and pick off some little figs to help others grow bigger/faster?

What type of fig are you looking for?

Shaft

I have no idea, I didn't even know there was more than two types to begin with. so the Hardy Chicago I have is growing well, one issue is it rippens late August, also I get inconstant flavor, some are real good others not so good, the best tasting ones are when the fig gets so fat the skin start to crack. also I am competing with the birds and ants, I don't want to pick them too early, so I got netting over part of it.
so questions: when should I prune it? what methods best to keep ants from climbing it? does it help to water it and pick off some little figs to help others grow bigger/faster?
Prune in the winter or early spring, before dormancy breaks.

Some duct-tape wrapped around the base of the trunk will prevent ants from climbing. Just wrap it with the sticky side out, and then wrap again so it sticks to itself. Double-sided tape also works. Be careful as your tree grows it doesn't get too tight and girdle, however.

Watering it while ripening is a bad idea. Dry conditions are more ideal.

You want more sun and heat, always more more more. It'll ripen faster.

As far as growing bigger, most figs go through three stages of swelling. These stages are triggered mostly by heat and sun.

Removing little figs after a certain date is a good idea. What date depends on the variety, as well as your location. Some varieties like Mt Etna ripen in ~80 days. Some take 90. Some take 120. If you know this variety takes 120 days to ripen and you're 60 days from your last frost, pull off the fruit that won't ripen. It'll improve the odds you get the other fruit to ripen, and it directs more of the tree's energy elsewhere.

One day we'll have to chat about different varieties :) Remind me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg