What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

Hello, from SC!

tridrama

Fundamental
Hi! I am excited to join this community. Our family started our hobby farm about 10 years ago. We've killed a lot of plants and trees over the years, but we keep plugging along. Our soil is very heavy clay. After several failed attempts to grow in-ground, we finally built raised beds and moved our most stubborn fruit trees to large pots. Although we've had one or two gifted fig trees for a few years, I still consider myself a newbie. This is the first year we have fruit on what I think is most likely a Brown Turkey. (And I'm not even sure if the squirrels and deer will even allow us to taste them!) I tried to root a few cuttings of different varieties last winter and managed to successfully root only 3 plants. So now we have 2 Ischia Green and a Celeste. I was gifted a Little Miss Figgy that was struggling in-ground, but since moving to a pot a little over a month ago, it has put on a log of new growth and is much healthier.

I love to grow and try new things, and figs have always intrigued me. So, I'm really here to learn new growing techniques. I don't easily give up. I have also enjoyed learning about all the different varieties of figs that are discussed in the groups. I'm looking forward to trying new ones.

I can't wait to learn from the collective wisdom of this group. Thank you for allowing me to be a part of this community.

LeConte'

Shaft

Thanks for joining us. I too have hard clay so if you want tips or have specific questions I'm free to help.

Sounds like you're either having drainage issues -- my hard clay, for example, is on flat land, so water sits -- or that it's drying out. I'm not sure why the figs would have a hard time penetrating that... they LOVE clay. How are you planting your in-ground trees, what methodology, what amendments, etc?

BTW, depending on which CDD and LSU varieties you want, I can probably complete your wishlist in one fell swoop. HMU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg