What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

Help Identifing 2 figs

Seafever

Newly Registered
Registered
Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out what type of figs I have. I bough 2 brown turkeys and 2 black jacks from Ison's Nursery and planted them in the spring of 2020. This year they have fruit and they both have yellowish green skin. I asked Ison's about it and they thought it was odd. They said it looked like Ischia but they don't sell Ischias. I've spent several hours searching the internet and came up with about 5-6 possibilitis. Any ideas on what they sent me? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6308.jpg
    IMG_6308.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6309.jpg
    IMG_6309.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6310.jpg
    IMG_6310.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6311.jpg
    IMG_6311.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6312.jpg
    IMG_6312.jpg
    949.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6345.jpg
    IMG_6345.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6346.jpg
    IMG_6346.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6347.jpg
    IMG_6347.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6348.jpg
    IMG_6348.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

SeattleFigs

Newly Registered
Registered
curious, what did they offer for the eroor of sending you mislabel tree? they dont grow their own stock of figs, rather they use a wholesaler . how big what the tree when you got it?

Seafever

Newly Registered
Registered
Hi SeattleFigs,

Ison's didn't offer anything. They didn't even give any explanation. All they said that it was strange because they don't sell ischias. I did send a follow up email asking if their vendor did. No response so far. It usually takes 2-3 months before they reply. Long story short, I order a lot of plants and supplies and they were terrible quality. IE, almost all the blackberries I ordered from them came in with the roots severed from the stem. They were not viable. Costumer support is pretty bad. I ordered the 3-4' trees. Most were about 3'. Same with the peaches I ordered but they came in at 2' not the 3-4' I ordered. No explanation, no apologies.

SeattleFigs

Newly Registered
Registered
i ordered from them once and never again. their warranty policy for bareroot trees that doesn't bud out is a joke. i highly don't recommend them to anyone.

Seafever

Newly Registered
Registered
Yeah. I wont order from them again. They won't even replace the wrong fig trees they sent. Very disappointing.

Dude4311

Newly Registered
Registered
Hi All,

I'm trying to figure out what type of figs I have. I bough 2 brown turkeys and 2 black jacks from Ison's Nursery and planted them in the spring of 2020. This year they have fruit and they both have yellowish green skin. I asked Ison's about it and they thought it was odd. They said it looked like Ischia but they don't sell Ischias. I've spent several hours searching the internet and came up with about 5-6 possibilitis. Any ideas on what they sent me? Thanks.
they look like my Alma figs, or possibly Conadria. but I have a labeled Brown turkey that is producing yellowish green skin too.

jmrtsus

Fundamental
My "Brown Turkey" from Agristarts Is a Blanche ( White Marseille, Lattarula, Italian Honey). Nothing new for Agristarts.

Seafever

Newly Registered
Registered
Are there any reliable vendors out there that send you what you actually ordered? After some more searching on the internet, this seems to happen a good bit. Are there any good reliable sources for cuttings? I wouldn't mind starting a collection.

jmrtsus

Fundamental
I would advise you to learn more before a "collection" where you end up with the same figs with different names or generally not suitable for your needs. Sellers mismark figs and sometimes know zero about them. Some sellers I consider shady sell the same fig under different names showing either fignorance or intentional deception. An example is the Blanche fig is also sold as White Marseille, Lattarulla, Italian Honey and even Lemon sometimes. And often the one labeled White Marseille is still being sold and is actually a Tena fig. Either way I do not buy from them. Growing zones are often wrong and every fig sold is wonderful according to the seller.

Learn that the university developed figs were developed for specific purposes. For example all figs introduced by the University of California (UC) were created by Ira Condit at UC to provide the California commercial growers common fig alternatives to the Smyrna type Calimyrna for dried figs. As example, the UC Tena fig will grow in many places but is not known as a great fresh eating fig, dried is where it shines. Another example is the LSU Gold was a processing fig and was to be picked "firm ripe" to ship for fig paste where sugar is added. So it also is not a great fresh eating fig. Kadota was a found sport of the Dottato and is a great sugar added canned fig but also not a great fresh fig. Louisiana State University developed 6 released figs with the goal of commercial figs for LA. The LSU Purple, Champagne and Tiger were home garden/ u-pick-em farm figs, consistent, reliable and sweet plus the important "pretty" figs. The star is the LSU Scott's Black in taste and a very good fresh fig. One of my fav's.
What other requirements do you have, size? Some figs can be had in a so called dwarf versions like the Little Miss figgy (LMF) is just a smaller sport of the Violette De Bordeaux (VDB) fig and a really good fig in either. Also don't buy what you can get cheap or free during cutting rooting time. Most of us trim our trees to keep them at a pick able height. Some sell or give away and some just chunk the trimmings.

Rooting fig cuttings is simple as pie! That is a boldfaced lie.......once you learn HOW it is simple. So get free or low cost cuttings to kill in the learning process. And you will, we all did. Patience is the key here, just because you read of folks that have a crop in a miracle year don't expect it. From cutting you can see a few figs early. Don't count on a substantial crop early, on average 4-5 years for my 29 in ground trees. Some plants like my Emerald Strawberry in ground has never made a fig in 5 years, yet 2 cuttings from it have figlets on them in only 6 months. Will they be a fruit representing the mature fruit? No, they will be in a technical term yuckie! Tissue Cultured (T/C) fig are something many of us have had disastrous results with. At 6 years in I still have 1 unknown and one that has never fruited. 50% of my T/C's were NOT what they were labeled. So much to learn so slow down and spend more time learning than spending unless unlike me you not constrained with other needs for $$, like cars, audio, guns, remodeling house, grandkids and travel. Then comes figs! OH! Add wife to the list!

Watch for my annual cutting give away for newbies in February for new members in the previous year. Last year folks received about 20 cutting of a six types for under $10 postage. Looking like LSU Purple, Scott's Black and Champagne. VDB, Tena, Celeste and others.

Fig on and ask questions, you will find many people with lots of good advice on the fig forums.

Seafever

Newly Registered
Registered
Hi tmrtsus,

Thank you for the great information. I appreciate it. It's a shame we can't trust vendors but I see similar issues with other businesses and hobbies as well. Shame. ++ on learning. That makes all my other hobbies fun as well. I've started growing out some cuttings and need to pot them up. I got several cutting from 2 friends that have huge fig trees in their yards but have no idea what they are. Will definitely find out in a couple of years though!! Part of the fun I'm having is trying to figure out which figs I want to collect. So many to chose from and have to go with write ups on them vs actually sampling them. I live outside Charleston, SC in zone 8b so I'll be looking for types that can handle the humidity and provide some nice flavor. The ones pictured above were of nice size, lightly sweet, but the flavor was not as intense as I would have liked. If I understand correctly, the flavor and sweetness may improve as the tree matures. LOL! more questions to follow!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg