What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

Help ID'ing my fig tree

obermeyern

Newly Registered
Registered
I would imagine this question comes up quite a bit and I'd like assistance with identifying the type of fig tree I have. I've been looking online and on YouTube videos and know I need to give my tree a little bit more care. Watching some videos of people that have over 50 varieties and learning that figs do not taste the same from variety to variety is exciting. The seller has different types and was unsure which they sold me. The purchase benefited a charity organization and they mentioned they've traveled all over the US gathering cuttings to grow. Looking forward to learning and growing additional trees. Thanks! Nate

Attachments

• 2022-07-12 11.18.18.jpg
    2022-07-12 11.18.18.jpg
    10.7 MB · Views: 8

Roadkingmikev

Newly Registered
Registered
Yes they are all very much alike. But I have about 20 different varieties and only one tree I bought, a St. Anthony/White Marseilles a few years back has very distinct leaves and growing pattern. The leaves have very long thin fingers. The branches grow fast and thin and can barely hold the weight of the leaves. Once I was able to put it in ground, it shot up and became huge.

jmrtsus

Fundamental
What you have is not a White Marseille or Blanche as the more common name worldwide but a Tena. The Blanche is a very historic fig and one of my favorites. Tena is easy to ID with the large 5 fingered leaves. Many thousands were sold by Agristarts mislabeled as White Marseille to wholesale growers. Tena is a fig developed by the University of California (Ira Condit) for the dried fig market in California. My wife's fav dried fig, LOL! You can find info on the Agristarts White Marseille fiasco on the internet. The Tena was used as the mother fig for the Sierra and Sequoia from UC as a major improvement over Tena. Fig On!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg