What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

Ideas for a Membership Drive

Shaft

It's important to me that we get a larger membership to these forums. I would like to see new conversations every day. I think we're doing a GREAT job expanding, we are very young, but I'm an impatient prick :p

Do you guys have any ideas of ways we could do a membership drive to encourage new members? I was thinking maybe we have existing members go recruit, and the new members can post who recruited them in this thread. The person with the most significant number of recruits gets a fig tree at the end of the year or something. What do you think?

sheergenius

Fundamental
HI Shaft. the format of this forum is probably the nicest and most interactive format that i have seen. As someone who works in marketing, I think recruiting members can be a turn off for some people and should be as organic as possible if you refer someone. I think the easiest way is to refer people to maybe a monthly giveaway on the forum of some sorts and have current members maybe donate for the giveaway. (People love free stuff and will be more apt to join the forum to participate. I think you can take advantage of what you already in the fig database also. I think there should be stronger message on those pages to get people to the forum. I have been a visitor on fig database from just googling certain varieties but never really noticed that it has a forum. I would add a pop up to fig database pages asking people to join the forum because if they are on those pages, they are obviously interested in figs. and maybe a link to the forum at the bottom of every fig page. I think the other thing that can be done is more added content to the forum relevant to what people are searching for (what questions are beginners going to ask? what knowledge about figs are people searching for? and that should be topics within the forum, This way you will pull more organic traffic from google and other search engines. This is just a few thoughts off on top of my head. If you haven't already. I think there should be a facebook group for the figdatabase forum. If the giveaway is possible, then you can post about it in other groups on facebook and pull alot of members from there. This is what i can think of off top of my head.

Rigo007

Administrator
I have plants to give away, sources of friends who are more than willing to donate plants and even a way to mass email Fig Database members. However, my issue is time. I haven't even had time to go about all the database's submissions or even check out all the posts on here. So if I can somehow get a couple more people to help me out take a roll in some of these areas, we can move ahead with accomplishing some of these ideas. Till then, Shaft is doing his best, and a great job at it.

sheergenius

Fundamental
I have plants to give away, sources of friends who are more than willing to donate plants and even a way to mass email Fig Database members. However, my issue is time. I haven't even had time to go about all the database's submissions or even check out all the posts on here. So if I can somehow get a couple more people to help me out take a roll in some of these areas, we can move ahead with accomplishing some of these ideas. Till then, Shaft is doing his best, and a great job at it.
I agree, This is a nice setup here, the database aspect and the forum. I just wanted throw out some ideas.

Iamthefigman

Fundamental
Hey rigo007 man I followed you over from figbid. This is pretty good start . As to the point of this thread I think the number of people growing the own fruits and veg lately people will join as many forums as they can for information. Just keep sharing this group as much as possible.

Shaft

HI Shaft. the format of this forum is probably the nicest and most interactive format that i have seen. As someone who works in marketing, I think recruiting members can be a turn off for some people and should be as organic as possible if you refer someone. I think the easiest way is to refer people to maybe a monthly giveaway on the forum of some sorts and have current members maybe donate for the giveaway. (People love free stuff and will be more apt to join the forum to participate. I think you can take advantage of what you already in the fig database also. I think there should be stronger message on those pages to get people to the forum. I have been a visitor on fig database from just googling certain varieties but never really noticed that it has a forum. I would add a pop up to fig database pages asking people to join the forum because if they are on those pages, they are obviously interested in figs. and maybe a link to the forum at the bottom of every fig page. I think the other thing that can be done is more added content to the forum relevant to what people are searching for (what questions are beginners going to ask? what knowledge about figs are people searching for? and that should be topics within the forum, This way you will pull more organic traffic from google and other search engines. This is just a few thoughts off on top of my head. If you haven't already. I think there should be a facebook group for the figdatabase forum. If the giveaway is possible, then you can post about it in other groups on facebook and pull alot of members from there. This is what i can think of off top of my head.

Thanks man! I know the format and the UI of the website is amazing. @Rigo007 did a great job with that. I agree we should make things organic, I think your idea to have a fig-giveaway often is a good way to do that.

The fig forum part of this database is new. It just got added a couple months ago. I learned about it in March or April but it was still under-wraps back then, non-disclosure. After I got banned from THE OTHER PLACE I realized Rigo had opened this up for the public quietly. We decided to make a full official launch shortly thereafter. Before just a little while ago, that forum link you say you missed didn't exist :)

I hope you'll help us draw in new people, and if you know someone who's got a penchant for detailing fig varieties or doing the hard work when it comes to synonyms then send them my way. We're looking for new researchers and editors to help Rigo focus on more executive level tasks like the ones you outlined :) I especially like the FigDatabase facebook outlet idea. I think there's something already in place that we could convert if Rigo is down.

sheergenius

Fundamental
Thanks man! I know the format and the UI of the website is amazing. @Rigo007 did a great job with that. I agree we should make things organic, I think your idea to have a fig-giveaway often is a good way to do that.

The fig forum part of this database is new. It just got added a couple months ago. I learned about it in March or April but it was still under-wraps back then, non-disclosure. After I got banned from THE OTHER PLACE I realized Rigo had opened this up for the public quietly. We decided to make a full official launch shortly thereafter. Before just a little while ago, that forum link you say you missed didn't exist :)

I hope you'll help us draw in new people, and if you know someone who's got a penchant for detailing fig varieties or doing the hard work when it comes to synonyms then send them my way. We're looking for new researchers and editors to help Rigo focus on more executive level tasks like the ones you outlined :) I especially like the FigDatabase facebook outlet idea. I think there's something already in place that we could convert if Rigo is down.

Ok, great job @Rigo007. Love it! I didn't know the database was that new. It shows up in searches pretty well already so kudos on that too.. I will help draw people in anyway i can. I believe facebook would be a good way to pull traffic to the site. @Shaft, thanks for informing about the forum. I like it here.

Shaft

Ok, great job @Rigo007. Love it! I didn't know the database was that new. It shows up in searches pretty well already so kudos on that too.. I will help draw people in anyway i can. I believe facebook would be a good way to pull traffic to the site. @Shaft, thanks for informing about the forum. I like it here.
No problem buddy! The database is older than the forum, IDK exactly how much older. The DB has been live and online for quite some time. It's just the forum that's new :) It was hush hush for awhile until we got things set up the way we wanted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Scianna