What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

"Know a tree by the fruit it bears"

Getfiggywitit65

Fundamental
Two fig trees misidentified earlier this year, waiting for the fruit to distinguish the varieties from one another, the only 2 that they can be are Brown Turkey and LSU Gold. Matthew 7:15-20 "know a tree by the fruit that it's bears". Hopefully, I can then tag them properly. Lesson learned? Hope so, it is quit bothersome to not know what the two trees are. Here's a shot of my recent trip to Walmart for another haul of Promix. Promix Haul.jpg

Shaft

oh I thought you meant you had identified that they were BT and LSU Gold. Gotchu. So they're a BT Not and a LSU Gold Not

Getfiggywitit65

Fundamental
They are BT and LSU Gold but I don't known which is which until they fruit out, I tried comparing leaves and growth habits but no dice.

Shaft

Well you got luckier than most :) Sometimes when trees are mislabeled it could be any of dozens of varieties.

Getfiggywitit65

Fundamental
Yes, I know it could have been a lot worse, luckily I only had 7 varieties at that point, I now label everything as soon as I obtain it. One little mistake a whole season of wondering, which is which.

Getfiggywitit65

Fundamental
Two fig trees misidentified earlier this year, waiting for the fruit to distinguish the varieties from one another, the only 2 that they can be are Brown Turkey and LSU Gold. Matthew 7:15-20 "know a tree by the fruit that it's bears". Hopefully, I can then tag them properly. Lesson learned? Hope so, it is quit bothersome to not know what the two trees are. Here's a shot of my recent trip to Walmart for another haul of Promix. View attachment 982
Blessings and salutations fig fiends, just identified the two trees that were missing labels. the most vigorous of all my fig plants ripened a fig today and after comparing all the measurable characteristics I have concluded without any further questions the identity of the two trees. I could have allowed another day or so but it was soft to the touch and after checking on other trees nearby I found that it had fallen from the tree indicating it was as ready as it would get. The taste was unmistakably honey with a very slight melon undertone, light greenish yellow fruit, definitely not Brown Turkey. thumbnail.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg