What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

Lattarula Italian Honey - Not?

ManyasFigsation

Newly Registered
Registered
Hello everyone,

My better half and I really got into figs this year and ended up buying a couple of these “Lattarula Italian Honey” figs from Walmart. Was really surprised to find something other than a Brown Turkey, but now that they are “ripening” the fruit are turning red. The tree appears to be a dwarf. The first tiny fruit that fell of the tree was a dark pink inside. I think all these fruit are brebas. Clearly not the characterists of a Italian Honey, right? Can anyone prove any information? Thank you!

890723D9-F331-4E3F-8EA6-E0926D2F190E.jpeg 903090A9-2139-4402-B940-E6B0084FDEEE.jpeg

jmrtsus

Fundamental
Coming from Wally World I'm pretty sure you have T/C or Tissue Cultured fig plant. So to get an idea what you have go to the Agristarts ( largest T/C fig producer) web site and check what they are producing and rule out figs from the list, odds are what remains will be your fig type. It is not as you know a Lattrulla/White Marseilles/ Italian Honey/Blanche/Lemon (all the same). Go through the T/C list and rule out green, dark purple and yellow figs. Check the pics of the remaining fig leaves and you will be able to narrow it down. Welcome to the T/C fig world, I have one going in year 8 with no fruit and it looks like yours......but still no clur what it is. FYI, my T/C Brown Turkey was a Blanche, my LSU Purple was a Celeste, my White Marseilles was a Tena, my LMF is a VDB and my VDB is an LMF, my Ischia Green looks right but no figs in 6 years, my Olympia was a Chicago Hardy. Incorrect names and misnamed figs have been a plague on figdom from the first written history on figs of almost 2000 years ago! Try to buy plants from cuttings as they will produce figs much sooner that the average T/C plants. Best bet is learning to root cutting, take a dive in the deep end of the pool. Even then you have to be careful where you get your cuttings as there are many scammers out there. 8 years and 30 inground trees and still 3 that are not type proven yet as they have not fruited!

ManyasFigsation

Newly Registered
Registered
Wow thanks for the response! When I actually bought the plant it was already fruiting so I was under the impression that this was a “mature” plant. It is my only plant that has barely grown. The stem is huge. You are probably right it was a mislabeled tissue culture and thanks for the great idea. I will look through the Agristarts site. And we already got into cuttings and also resorted to buying figs on figbid! The little mystery fig is fun, but sure is nice to know when you have the right variety! The fig was extra tiny btw. I think maybe the nursery shocked it somehow into flowering and the tree is having a hard time.

Attachments

• 60EC34AE-FC91-4D4D-8453-23C2DBE5ED18.jpeg
    60EC34AE-FC91-4D4D-8453-23C2DBE5ED18.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 7
  • 6ADF8F79-B524-4E85-ADF2-BC09F563FF8D.jpeg
    6ADF8F79-B524-4E85-ADF2-BC09F563FF8D.jpeg
    445.9 KB · Views: 7
  • BDAAE3D8-1A50-4439-B9B9-2EFA2BAF1EEC.jpeg
    BDAAE3D8-1A50-4439-B9B9-2EFA2BAF1EEC.jpeg
    766.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 32A0C8F7-A873-4171-AFEB-4D7DF59FEE99.jpeg
    6.4 MB · Views: 1

Shaft

Wow thanks for the response! When I actually bought the plant it was already fruiting so I was under the impression that this was a “mature” plant. It is my only plant that has barely grown. The stem is huge. You are probably right it was a mislabeled tissue culture and thanks for the great idea. I will look through the Agristarts site. And we already got into cuttings and also resorted to buying figs on ******! The little mystery fig is fun, but sure is nice to know when you have the right variety! The fig was extra tiny btw. I think maybe the nursery shocked it somehow into flowering and the tree is having a hard time.
TreeSnatch.com also has some really good deals on figs, particularly by backyardfigs atm

Figology

Fundamental
Wow thanks for the response! When I actually bought the plant it was already fruiting so I was under the impression that this was a “mature” plant. It is my only plant that has barely grown. The stem is huge. You are probably right it was a mislabeled tissue culture and thanks for the great idea. I will look through the Agristarts site. And we already got into cuttings and also resorted to buying figs on ******! The little mystery fig is fun, but sure is nice to know when you have the right variety! The fig was extra tiny btw. I think maybe the nursery shocked it somehow into flowering and the tree is having a hard time.
Kinda strange how the software on this site puts *’s in the place of certain websites. I really dislike that.

Anyway, I got a Negronne from there that looks similar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg