What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

Much joy to be part of this community

4loveoffigs

Newly Registered
Registered
Hello to all. Its been years, and I continue to be totally amazed that the passion I have for figs is as fresh and exciting as the blissful experience of a new love relationship. This forum and sharing our passion for figs helps to normalize my/our crazy fig addiction. One of my goals is to grow the interest in my local community as I help educate gardeners about to the wonder and delight of growing figs. My challenge is that I live in Western New York (zone 5b). So, many here have never have been exposed to growing fig trees. Because of our harsh climate, all of the nurseries and even the big box stores only sell (in limited quantities) Brown Turkey and Chicago Hardy. When locals buy these trees and plant them in the ground, they many times do not get ripe fruit because of our short growing season. And eventually their trees die because our ground can reach extreme freezes. The availability of other varieties are limited in my region because its not good business for nurseries and big box stores to be selling trees that would most likely die after one season, since most are unaware that if potted and stored in an attached garage, they are able to grow many wonderful varieties. My local group is named Buffalo Fig Fam https://www.facebook.com/groups/253947976350021 . I invite everyone (not just locals) to join, Comments and advice posted by figgers from around the world will help our local community understand that if the appropriate varieties are selected and properly cared for, that there are so many delicious figs other than just the two varieties that are sold in Western New York. Again, Im so happy to be part of this group, thank you.

Rigo007

Administrator
Welcome to this side of the community. Hope to learn from you although you grow in an extreme environment.

Shaft

You are so right. Forums like this allow knowledge to develop. It makes sense that people made the errors you describe, but these little pockets of knowledge on the internet not only normalize such a passion, but promote it. It invites others to come join like "Hey... you like what you see? Come, let me tell you more."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Scianna