What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

New Fig Farmer

FoxHillFigs

Newly Registered
Registered
Howdy from Erath County Texas!
I’m a transplant from the Texas Gulf Coast where figs are easy to grow. I’m expecting some challenges here as the climate is dryer and cooler. I recently planted a Celeste and a Texas Everbearing in the ground and have some cuttings from an unknown fig from our neighborhood community garden. I’m looking forward to learning from those who have been at it for a while!

Shaft

Welcome. Are you in FoxHills, Los Angeles?
Erath county, TX is in central Texas iirc

I’m a transplant from the Texas Gulf Coast where figs are easy to grow. I’m expecting some challenges here as the climate is dryer and cooler. I recently planted a Celeste and a Texas Everbearing in the ground and have some cuttings from an unknown fig from our neighborhood community garden. I’m looking forward to learning from those who have been at it for a while!
Should still be warm enough, what zone are you in? Also, the dry will help a lot. There's a lot to learn on this site, and a lot of people with a lot of information if you learn whom to ask about what.

What in particular are you looking to learn right now?

FoxHillFigs

Newly Registered
Registered
I’m in zone 8. The trees I planted are single trunk and I think I’ll try to keep them that way. Anyone have experience with this?

FoxHillFigs

Newly Registered
Registered
8C0383DB-0323-4874-83E0-0E72054018F6.jpeg
Here’s where the name comes from. We have some gray foxes that live in our neighborhood and they love fruit! I’ll have to watch them with the figs if I want to eat any.

Shaft

I’m in zone 8. The trees I planted are single trunk and I think I’ll try to keep them that way. Anyone have experience with this?
Yes. I'm in the same zone, doing the same thing. I have some potted and some in-ground. How can I help?

Figology

Fundamental
Erath county, TX is in central Texas iirc

Should still be warm enough, what zone are you in? Also, the dry will help a lot. There's a lot to learn on this site, and a lot of people with a lot of information if you learn whom to ask about what.

What in particular are you looking to learn right now?
Der. Guess I should learn to read the first sentence.

tridrama

Fundamental
Welcome to the group. I'm sure you will learn alot from the experts in the group.

Getfiggywitit65

Fundamental
Welcome to the forum. I like yourself am relatively new at this but hoping to be a multi-variety eater of figs soon. Here in Houston 9a.

FoxHillFigs

Newly Registered
Registered
The Alma was a great producer on the Gulf Coast. I’ve read that it’s tough to keep them going once you get 200 miles inland due to the cooler temps. Is yours in a container?

Getfiggywitit65

Fundamental
Hey FoxHillFigs,
How soon did your Alma produce and was it early or later in the year, like what month?

Shaft

I have an Alma that wanted to produce abundantly its first year. Right in the middle of August, going into September.

Getfiggywitit65

Fundamental
Thanks, I want some idea as when to expect fruit as far as the age of the tree and the month that it typically starts fruiting in my zone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg