What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

New Fig Species Hiding in Plain Sight

Figology

Fundamental
27212E81-7DCC-49DC-8556-DCD587B60126.jpeg
More interesting stuff from Australia. A friend sent me this. Would love to see the research on it.

jmrtsus

Fundamental
I was interested in this and did some checking and the plant is widely available in Australia and best I can tell seeds are legal to import but not cheap to ship. Called the Sandpaper fig there. Some guy was growing one and other types of Ficus for research and had an Oppostia from seeds in FL. Should be a good place to start.

Figs are tiny but flavorful from what I read. Can't help but think with nematode resistance one of the goals in LSU fig program they did not look into it, was not like it was a secret fig, LOL! LSU did tout the resistance of the LSU Purple fig.

Strangely the Florida State Horticulture Society has been around since 1888 and has not a single reference to Ficus Opposita in their entire searchable archives, even with a detailed search for years 1924-1926 for Ficus Opposita. Hmmmm.....I love mysteries!

The seeds I found were $40 AU just for shipping! Not me!

SandpaperFig_900x (1).jpg ScreenHunter_10358 Jan. 23 10.18.jpg Ficus-Opposita-Seeds-Sweet-Sandpaper-Fig-786x786.jpg Tucker-Bush-Ficus-coronata.png

FIGFIG23

Newly Registered
Registered
I was interested in this and did some checking and the plant is widely available in Australia and best I can tell seeds are legal to import but not cheap to ship. Called the Sandpaper fig there. Some guy was growing one and other types of Ficus for research and had an Oppostia from seeds in FL. Should be a good place to start.

Figs are tiny but flavorful from what I read. Can't help but think with nematode resistance one of the goals in LSU fig program they did not look into it, was not like it was a secret fig, LOL! LSU did tout the resistance of the LSU Purple fig.

Strangely the Florida State Horticulture Society has been around since 1888 and has not a single reference to Ficus Opposita in their entire searchable archives, even with a detailed search for years 1924-1926 for Ficus Opposita. Hmmmm.....I love mysteries!

The seeds I found were $40 AU just for shipping! Not me!

View attachment 1196 View attachment 1195 View attachment 1194 View attachment 1197
its a beautiful fig . Did you grow ficus opposita start with seeds?

jmrtsus

Fundamental
its a beautiful fig . Did you grow ficus opposita start with seeds?
I would not spend $40 AU on shipping for the seeds! Nor interested in breeding figs. Just found the OP interesting then it kinda turned shady with reference to a study that does not seem to exist or a wrong reference. The site says they publish peer reviewed studies so the reference could be a local chapter newsletter mentioning a local gardener studying Ficus Opposita but it was not an official peer reviewed published study by them. My interest was LSU states the LSU Purple is nematode resistant and I am curious if it was intentional selection or good fortune. Same results with search of LSU Ag archives of no listing of Ficus Opposita. I think FL has a really bad nematode problem but no listing in FL State Ag site or FL State University Ag sites either. In a web search I came across an individual growing this Ficus Opposita and others from seed. But no updates after pics of the single seed that germinated out of like 100 for him. It could be that crosses have been made but results were not good long ago.

Seems like a fun project for someone with time but not me, I have not even started the 1/2 scale size Titanic model ship yet and need to finish it first. 9 trailer loads of Balsa wood in the backyard is irking the wife and she said no new project 'till that one is finished.

FIGFIG23

Newly Registered
Registered
Oh
I would not spend $40 AU on shipping for the seeds! Nor interested in breeding figs. Just found the OP interesting then it kinda turned shady with reference to a study that does not seem to exist or a wrong reference. The site says they publish peer reviewed studies so the reference could be a local chapter newsletter mentioning a local gardener studying Ficus Opposita but it was not an official peer reviewed published study by them. My interest was LSU states the LSU Purple is nematode resistant and I am curious if it was intentional selection or good fortune. Same results with search of LSU Ag archives of no listing of Ficus Opposita. I think FL has a really bad nematode problem but no listing in FL State Ag site or FL State University Ag sites either. In a web search I came across an individual growing this Ficus Opposita and others from seed. But no updates after pics of the single seed that germinated out of like 100 for him. It could be that crosses have been made but results were not good long ago.

Seems like a fun project for someone with time but not me, I have not even started the 1/2 scale size Titanic model ship yet and need to finish it first. 9 trailer loads of Balsa wood in the backyard is irking the wife and she said no new project 'till that one is finished.
oh i see i miss understand sry i hope good things happen in 2022

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Scianna