What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

New here - looking for info

jjabartley

Newly Registered
Registered
I have a fig tree that’s about 5 or 6 years old. I live in SC. Half of the tree is loaded with figs, the other half bare, no leaves or fruit which seems to be normal this time of year. Question is does anyone know what kind of fig tree this is, & has anyone’s fig tree behaved like this.
Also, looking to buy a Cherry Sweet Tart Fig tree. Anyone know where I could get one? The pictures are the same tree.

Attachments

• 8C998A28-1DEC-431C-99A5-039D3B33E7F0.jpeg
    8C998A28-1DEC-431C-99A5-039D3B33E7F0.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
  • D3105242-A7BC-4D1F-8CC1-2466F148ADFF.jpeg
    D3105242-A7BC-4D1F-8CC1-2466F148ADFF.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 5

Figology

Fundamental
I’ve come to the conclusion that you’ll rarely find a definite answer to this question. There’s so many varieties and so many variables that makes it hard to identify. I joined another forum searching for the same answers and never received any.

Upload pics when the fruit is ripe. That will help.

It looks like it’s suffering from “rust” on the leafs.

jjabartley

Newly Registered
Registered
It’s cold and all the fig tres in the area are loosing their leaves. They turn spotted brown first. I don’t think it’s rust. The fruit turn purple-ish in color. My grandfather used to have a fig tree in his little backyard in corona, NY back in the 60’s. I’ve always been intrigued by them, love the way the fruit pops out of the limbs. :) Thank you for your reply.

Shaft

It's definitely rust, but it's also entirely normal this time of year. Fig rust is usually what puts figs to sleep in humid climates.

The ridging on the fig definitely give us some ideas, but without a clear photo of the leaves and ripe fruit, it's hard to give you more info. What you'll want when the time comes:

1. a clear photo of every leaf type. Some trees have one leaf type, some have many.
  2. a clear photo of a whole fruit
  3. a clear photo of a whole fruit, ostiole
  4. a clear bisected fruit photo
  5. weigh each fig. An average fig weight helps a lot.

I’ve come to the conclusion that you’ll rarely find a definite answer to this question. There’s so many varieties and so many variables that makes it hard to identify. I joined another forum searching for the same answers and never received any.

Upload pics when the fruit is ripe. That will help.

It looks like it’s suffering from “rust” on the leafs.
That forum largely didn't believe in morphology either :) Many of us here do. If it looks like a spade, grows like a spade, and tastes like a spade, it's probably a spade.

tridrama

Fundamental
Very nice looking fig.

I live in the Midlands. Which part of the state are you in?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg