What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

New here!

casmyers

Newly Registered
Registered
Thank you for the acceptance.
I live in Weatherford. TX and I am 77. Got into figs several years ago Made the usual mistakes and have learned a lot.
Still a lot to learn but am interested in different types and different methods of propagation.
I don't have a lot right now but I am adding. Inground I have LSU Purple, Olympian and Brown Turkey.
In pots I have Hardy Chicago, White Marsielles, Kadota. White Texas Everbearing, Black Mission. Italian Honey, Violet De Bordeaux
and Yellow Long Neck.

jmrtsus

Fundamental
Watch for the dreaded synonym games. It appears you have several duplicate figs. The Kadota and White Texas Everbearing are genetically the same. See https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2860561/

This is part of the chart there.

ScreenHunter_10882 Jun. 30 12.10.jpg

If your White Marseille is correct and does NOT have 5 long fingered leaves it is the same as Italian Honey, Lattarulla, Blanche, and one version of Lemon in the SE USA. White Marseille fig tree has many names, see pic below. If yours is a long 5 fingered plant it is an Tena. Many thousands were sold mislabeled.

ScreenHunter_10883 Jun. 30 12.25.jpg

This is from this document will also help by giving the various synonyms for most of the popular heritage figs. There are others for the White Marseille in this listing.

Glad to see you here, 70 YO in E. TN!

Fig ON!

BTW in Jan-Feb I can hook you up with LSU and other fig cutting for shipping costs. There are many ways to root cuttings, I do mine entirely in water until up potted to gallon pots.

Iamthefigman

Fundamental
Welcome!!!!
I kind of lurk and just check the posts ever once in while. I just moved so now have more space. I just planted twelve different varieties. I really just enjoy the garden. I gives me something on which to focus. This is a great hobby.

direcraft

Newly Registered
Registered
Watch for the dreaded synonym games. It appears you have several duplicate figs. The Kadota and White Texas Everbearing are genetically the same. See https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2860561/

This is part of the chart there.

View attachment 1526

If your White Marseille is correct and does NOT have 5 long fingered leaves it is the same as Italian Honey, Lattarulla, Blanche, and one version of Lemon in the SE USA. White Marseille fig tree has many names, see pic below. If yours is a long 5 fingered plant it is an Tena. Many thousands were sold mislabeled.

View attachment 1527

This is from this document will also help by giving the various synonyms for most of the popular heritage figs. There are others for the White Marseille in this listing.

Glad to see you here, 70 YO in E. TN!

Fig ON!

BTW in Jan-Feb I can hook you up with LSU and other fig cutting for shipping costs. There are many ways to root cuttings, I do mine entirely in water until up potted to gallon pots.
Greetings! 32 yo here. Gardening/permaculture was my main interest but i got addicted to figs a couple years ago. I'm also in east TN in talbott. Would like to connect and get cuttings in jan-feb as well.

casmyers

Newly Registered
Registered
Welcome!!!!
I kind of lurk and just check the posts ever once in while. I just moved so now have more space. I just planted twelve different varieties. I really just enjoy the garden. I gives me something on which to focus. This is a great hobby.
Mostly I lurk and try to gain information. I will be moving to my daughter's property in a few month. I will have about 5 cleared acres to play with my figs!!

casmyers

Newly Registered
Registered
Greetings! 32 yo here. Gardening/permaculture was my main interest but i got addicted to figs a couple years ago. I'm also in east TN in talbott. Would like to connect and get cuttings in jan-feb as well.
I was born and raised in Newport TN until I was 7. Still consider TN home. Will probably have cuttings also.

Iamthefigman

Fundamental
Mostly I lurk and try to gain information. I will be moving to my daughter's property in a few month. I will have about 5 cleared acres to play with my figs!!
I guess I need to talk my daughter into buying some land. Right now. Am just keeping it small. I prune my trees every year and propagate the trimmings and sell the plants the next season. It has help offset some of my hobbies. Every year I gain a little more weight interest as people get to know me.

Gumbo2go

Newly Registered
Registered
Thank you for the acceptance.
I live in Weatherford. TX and I am 77. Got into figs several years ago Made the usual mistakes and have learned a lot.
Still a lot to learn but am interested in different types and different methods of propagation.
I don't have a lot right now but I am adding. Inground I have LSU Purple, Olympian and Brown Turkey.
In pots I have Hardy Chicago, White Marsielles, Kadota. White Texas Everbearing, Black Mission. Italian Honey, Violet De Bordeaux
and Yellow Long Neck.
Welcome

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg