What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

New to Fig trees, have a new cutting from an old tree

carrie.countryman@gm

Newly Registered
Registered
Hello! I'm living in the Pacific Northwest (Southwest Washington) and am going to be planting a cutting soon. The tree originally came as a cutting my parents brought to the NW from a very old, established tree at my grandparents' house in Louisiana. That cutting was then planted here on our family land. Almost 40 years later, it's a big, sprawling tree that produces figs in August.

I'm attaching a few photos, as I'm trying to figure out which varietal it is. :) Thank you in advance for any advice! My cousin has many cuttings he's propagating, and folks are asking us what variety it is.

Attachments

• Fig3.jpg
    Fig3.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Fig2.jpg
    Fig2.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Fig1.jpeg
    Fig1.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 8

Shaft

Could you post a few photos for me?

1) Whole fig
2) Photos of the eye/ostiole
3) Clear photos of an individual leaf

Thanks a ton =)

It's fair to say this is an Adriatic type but it's got some key characteristics I'm not sure about. I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be able to use this information to make a determination, however.

Someone gave me this advice when ID'ing adriatics. "Everything matters - the leaves, the shape of the fruit, the weight and the scales around the eye. The latter are a very important indicator for distinguishing the three varieties with light skin color, which are the most common worldwide - Verdone, Verte and Verdino. The Dalmatiae variety is also very common, but differs easily."

carrie.countryman@gm

Newly Registered
Registered

1) Whole fig

Thanks a ton =)

It's fair to say this is an Adriatic type but it's got some key characteristics I'm not sure about. I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be able to use this information to make a determination, however.

Someone gave me this advice when ID'ing adriatics. "Everything matters - the leaves, the shape of the fruit, the weight and the scales around the eye. The latter are a very important indicator for distinguishing the three varieties with light skin color, which are the most common worldwide - Verdone, Verte and Verdino. The Dalmatiae variety is also very common, but differs easily."
Thank you! I'll have to wait until next fall to get a whole fruit photo, unfortunately, as the figs were delicious and were promptly eaten.

I can get leaf photos though, and will update soon. The mother tree lives a half mile from me.

Shaft

Thank you! I'll have to wait until next fall to get a whole fruit photo, unfortunately, as the figs were delicious and were promptly eaten.

I can get leaf photos though, and will update soon. The mother tree lives a half mile from me.
If I were you I'd give it a temporary name (including the word Unk) until you learn more. This will make it easier for people to keep up with information about it.

I'd totally trade you some cuttings, unknown for unknown, if you're interested.

Here are some of your options if you're interested

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

1.jpg 2.jpg 4.jpg

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Figology

Fundamental
Hello! I'm living in the Pacific Northwest (Southwest Washington) and am going to be planting a cutting soon. The tree originally came as a cutting my parents brought to the NW from a very old, established tree at my grandparents' house in Louisiana. That cutting was then planted here on our family land. Almost 40 years later, it's a big, sprawling tree that produces figs in August.

I'm attaching a few photos, as I'm trying to figure out which varietal it is. :) Thank you in advance for any advice! My cousin has many cuttings he's propagating, and folks are asking us what variety it is.
Interesting fig. That very well could be a persistent Caprifig (male fig). You can see hand-like styles on the stamens. These hand looking things hold capsules that would host the fig wasp if you had them.

Attachments

• 76325513-188A-4C5B-8CA7-24790C4BACFB.jpeg
    76325513-188A-4C5B-8CA7-24790C4BACFB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • 365472C6-C592-48E7-8E79-B76EC5702D8D.jpeg
    365472C6-C592-48E7-8E79-B76EC5702D8D.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 3

Figology

Fundamental

1) Whole fig

Thanks a ton =)

I also suspect that it’s a hybrid of Ficus Carica and Ficus Palmata based on its leaf shapes (spade-ish)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg