What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

North-East Fig Growers

Shaft

Hey, it might be useful to have lists of where people are from. Different regions experience different climates, different obstacles, different challenges to overcome. This list might also be useful to organize a get-together some place, some time in the future. Who knows the possibilities? Please leave a comment with your name, location, and zone to get added to the list or private message me. Any additional information you wish to provide is welcome!

This list is for the cold and rainy industrial heartland of this great nation, the North-East

• (Chosen328) | Plainview, NY | Zone 7a
  • (Tonytone) | Princeton, NJ, Zone 6b
  • Rick (Rtnassa) | RI | Zone Unknown

Last edited:

Rtnassa

Newly Registered
Registered
Hi, Rick here on the coast in RI. Long time fig grower. I have trees in the ground as well as in pots 31 total just now. My potted trees are in a shed under my garage. This morning it is 8 degrees out; 32 inside. My big Chicago variety in the ground produced over 400 figs past summer.

Tonytone

Newly Registered
Registered
Hello
Hi, Rick here on the coast in RI. Long time fig grower. I have trees in the ground as well as in pots 31 total just now. My potted trees are in a shed under my garage. This morning it is 8 degrees out; 32 inside. My big Chicago variety in the ground produced over 400 figs past summer.
I think I remember you from Ourfigs. I have 16 inground trees and others in large pots I store in my garage. I got over a hundred figs off a Chicago Hardy type I have in ground. I got this plant from a lady in Staten Island who called it “pink”. I also got “white” and “purple” from her.
I made fig jam that Danny Gentile really liked. Asked for my recipe. I made it with the figs primarily from “pink” which has become my favorite fig. Made a bunch of cuttings of “pink” so I can share with friends.
Hope ur trees do ok in this cold snap we’re having right now. I haven’t covered any of my i ground trees in the past 3 winters. 🤞not sure my luck will hold out…

Shaft

Oh wow, that's an impressive amount of figs! Thanks for sharing. What are your secrets to keeping things warm enough in your zone for figs to survive?

Hello

I think I remember you from Ourfigs. I have 16 inground trees and others in large pots I store in my garage. I got over a hundred figs off a Chicago Hardy type I have in ground. I got this plant from a lady in Staten Island who called it “pink”. I also got “white” and “purple” from her.
I made fig jam that Danny Gentile really liked. Asked for my recipe. I made it with the figs primarily from “pink” which has become my favorite fig. Made a bunch of cuttings of “pink” so I can share with friends.
Hope ur trees do ok in this cold snap we’re having right now. I haven’t covered any of my i ground trees in the past 3 winters. 🤞not sure my luck will hold out…

That sounds like an interesting old lady. Does she deal primarily in colors? :) (See what I did there? Primary... colors... I thought it was clever).

Do you typically leave your trees outside, and if so, what's the minimum size tree you would leave out to the elements?

Also... updated.

Harish-C

Newly Registered
Registered
I am Harish C. from NJ. have been into growing figs for five years now; have about 40-45 trees in total, all in 10-gal and 15-gal grow bags, (none in the ground), plus many small ones that I took as air layers last fall. Move most of my hardy figs into a DIY greenhouse for the winter, plus some sensitive ones into a walk-in basement. So, lots of shuffling abound with my hand truck. .
Happy figging, everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg