What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

Northeast Texas

ImStephenDunn

Newly Registered
Registered
Hello figgers! I am Stephen Dunn and I live in the city of Gilmer in Northeast, Tx which is on the border of Zone 8a/8b. I had 16 varieties of fig until the winter of 2020-21 kicked me in the butt. Everything I had froze to the ground. I lost some and the others were late pushing out so it was almost like starting over from scratch. Some of my current varieties include Tx Everbearing, Brown Turkey, LA Purple, LA Gold, YLN, JHA, VDB, Black Jack, a couple UNK's, and VDB. I will have to look and and see if I still have a couple others and will come back to update then. I know I lost my Smith and Black Mission. I do have other types of fruit trees and love to graft them. I am also trying to complete a greenhouse project that is 18'x40'.

Shaft

Oh wow, that's going to be an impressive greenhouse. The larger a greenhouse is, the more thermal mass you can fit inside it, the more it holds temperature at night. Less fluctuations up AND down.

I'm learning about some other fruit trees as well. We have an entire section dedicated here to such things. One of my more anticipated things are pawpaws, but I'm also excited about some mulberries I've got coming too. What other fruits are you interested in?

ImStephenDunn

Newly Registered
Registered
Outside I have apple, pear, plum, peach, apricot, nectarine, cherry, grape, muscatine, elderberry, blueberry, blackberry, loquat, goji, pawpaw. I have cold stratification going on pawpaw and jujube seeds. In greenhouse there is banana, guava, dragonfruit, papaya, cherimoya, black sapote, white sapote avocado peanut butter fruit tree, various citrus and probably some I am forgetting. I also enjoy raising a few superhot peppers.

Rigo007

Administrator
Well welcome aboard, Stephen! Sorry to hear about your trees. We all learn as we go. Here, we have too much rain and the spoilage of figs is crazy. Also nematodes, super hot summers etc. A haven house sounds like a great solution for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg