What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

Older guy getting into the fig world

Mavila97003

Newly Registered
Registered
Hello, My name is Matt and I'm 61 and live in Aloha, Oregon.
Since I was a kid I always loved a fresh fig right off the tree. But I always thought that there was just a green variety or a purple variety. I planted a Desert King about 12 years ago and now it's quite large. My wife and I love them but we didn't like the fact that we only had a couple weeks of figs then nothing till next year. Well during the pandemic and lots of time at home, I discovered that there are thousands of different varieties and you can container raise them and keep them fairly small and that you can just buy cuttings and propagate them and graft them. Dang, my whole fig world has just exploded. Now I have about 15 varieties, all smaller, and looking for more. So far it's been a fun ride. Learning a ton

Shaft

Welcome to the world of figs! So, it seems like you'd be interested in what is known as "Extending the harvest."
As you noted, your desert king produces breba figs in a very short window. This is typically the case in my experience with San Pedro varieties. You get them early, and at once.
There are other figs that are early, other figs that are late, some that produce one every few days and some that produce all at once. Might be worth looking into for you! Welcome to the forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg