What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

Ripening of my first fruits!

Getfiggywitit65

Fundamental
Hello Fig Family,

Thought I'd share some recent news regarding some ripened fruits that my grandson and I recently harvested. I had three varieties to ripen on July15th. 2022, they were LSU Gold, Ronde De Bordeaux and Malta Black. The best, rated in order are RDB, LSUG and MB. Almost immediately after I started having ripening figs disappear without a trace, my suspects are either birds or squirrels, since it has been a very hot and dry month, I'm leaning more towards the birds, but I don't know for sure yet. First fruits.jpg First fruits2.jpg

Getfiggywitit65

Fundamental
07/22/20
Second Update on Ripening Figs!

I placed some bird netting over the top of the figs that had started to swell and darken and after a few days I had a Violette De Bordeaux and a Ronde De Bordeaux to taste. Clearly the VDB had a slight edge over the RDB but the sweetness of both figs was excellent, the texture of both was of a jammy consistency and a very light seed crunch. I didn't get to take any pics but I have more to come that I will take pictures of prior to eating, lol!

tlbluestone

Fundamental
07/22/20
Second Update on Ripening Figs!

I placed some bird netting over the top of the figs that had started to swell and darken and after a few days I had a Violette De Bordeaux and a Ronde De Bordeaux to taste. Clearly the VDB had a slight edge over the RDB but the sweetness of both figs was excellent, the texture of both was of a jammy consistency and a very light seed crunch. I didn't get to take any pics but I have more to come that I will take pictures of prior to eating, lol!
Nice for sure plus sharing is even better. I've had a total of 5 Sicilian Dark figs this season so far. The Sicilian Dark was a cutting I bought and I found out it originated from Big Bill @ offthebeatenpath.

Getfiggywitit65

Fundamental
Nice for sure plus sharing is even better. I've had a total of 5 Sicilian Dark figs this season so far. The Sicilian Dark was a cutting I bought and I found out it originated from Big Bill @ offthebeatenpath.
I got quite a few cuttings from OTBP earlier this year, he has good quality cuttings for reasonable prices. How are the Sicilian Darks taste-wise? I had a couple of Portuguese Darks but I expose them to too much light intensity too early and what were nicely rooted cuttings with good looking leaves, quickly withered and died on me before I caught it. I will be getting a couple more this cutting season. Good luck with the rest of your growing season.

tlbluestone

Fundamental
I got quite a few cuttings from OTBP earlier this year, he has good quality cuttings for reasonable prices. How are the Sicilian Darks taste-wise? I had a couple of Portuguese Darks but I expose them to too much light intensity too early and what were nicely rooted cuttings with good looking leaves, quickly withered and died on me before I caught it. I will be getting a couple more this cutting season. Good luck with the rest of your growing season.
I thought they were okay for first season figs, I was told they have a very good taste to them as the plant gets older. BTW they formed on the cutting after it rooted over winter.

Getfiggywitit65

Fundamental
I thought they were okay for first season figs, I was told they have a very good taste to them as the plant gets older. BTW they formed on the cutting after it rooted over winter.
That's great! I was surprised how good the VDB and RDB were compared to the Mission figs I buy from the supermarket @6.99 for 8 ounces. The mission figs taste like the Malta Blacks that I had earlier this year. What part of the country are you located? I'm in the Houston, Tx area but hoping to move to my 2 acre property this fall where I plan on expanding my fig collection.

tlbluestone

Fundamental
That's great! I was surprised how good the VDB and RDB were compared to the Mission figs I buy from the supermarket @6.99 for 8 ounces. The mission figs taste like the Malta Blacks that I had earlier this year. What part of the country are you located? I'm in the Houston, Tx area but hoping to move to my 2 acre property this fall where I plan on expanding my fig collection.
I'm up in South Central PA about an hour away from the Maryland border. I bought a really nice sized VDB from my fig contact just a little over a month ago that's loaded with figs. I've yet to see any Black Mission figs on my main plant or rooted cutting ones. I have 2 Malta Black plants in containers and I think I seen some figlets on 1 of them. Threefoldfarm sells figs every year here and they do other fruits also at above average prices but it's always quality fruit.

Getfiggywitit65

Fundamental
I'm up in South Central PA about an hour away from the Maryland border. I bought a really nice sized VDB from my fig contact just a little over a month ago that's loaded with figs. I've yet to see any Black Mission figs on my main plant or rooted cutting ones. I have 2 Malta Black plants in containers and I think I seen some figlets on 1 of them. Threefoldfarm sells figs every year here and they do other fruits also at above average prices but it's always quality fruit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg