What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

Toni

Figgy

Newly Registered
Registered
Hello! I'm a new member hoping for tips and advice on growing figs in Central Florida, near Orlando. I just purchased a Nero Caesar fig tree. It was a bit pricey and before I plant it, I am looking for advice on planting location, soil matter, watering, etc. The soil here is sand. Should I keep I plant it in the ground or keep it in the pot for a while? had great success growing figs in South Florida. I planted the small tree next to the air conditioner water drip line and had wonderful results with incredible amounts of figs twice a year. I would appreciate all advice ... Thank you!

backyardfigs

Fundamental
I hear nematodes are an issue in Florida’s sandy soul. I’d put it in ground watering in a pot in Florida may turn into a daily choir.

Rigo007

Administrator
I'm surprised you had so much success growing a fig tree inground and next to the AC. I'm in South FLorida and the soil/sand here is full of nematodes. I found that pots is better and not all varieties do well here for many reasons. However, my successes have improved to the point where almost all figs are doing exceptionally well and all they need is a good size pot and a well draining mix. Central Florida should be much better than down here. However, you would get some freeze every once in a while which means you'll probably have to protect some trees.

Keep us posted with pictures and info on how you have made changes, fails and improvements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg