What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

Tree or bush

jmrtsus

Fundamental
The usual over moisture issues. Try again but leave them in open air for circulation this time. Make sure you have lots of holes in bottom and middle section of you cup. You could also try water rooting or other ways. Excess moisture in soil is almost always the cause of rooting failures. We all did it! If the soil looks wet it is too wet! Figs are fighters, actually hard to kill except with over watering soil! Do some research on rooting methods.

20220415_113738.jpg

Last edited:

Harish-C

Newly Registered
Registered
So when I bought my house the first thing I planted was a fig tree, I don't know anything about them, just that I tried one (fresh off bush) years ago and it was so good. So I just happen to see one at Lowes hardware garden center and grabbed one, it was only a stick, and planted it in 2019 (or 2018?) so this thing grew so fast! but this is the first year I got ripened fruit, last year I had about a dozen but never ripened in time. so this year the tree is loaded. It wasn't till Aug 28th that they started to ripen few at a time, right now Sept 28, it's slowing down, still loaded with green ones.
So I still have the box, it is a Hardy Chicago and says it can grow up to 30 feet! yikes, so that's too big near the house and will have to cut it back to keep it down for now, but I want to find a fig bush to replace it, get it started for couple years before I take this one down. so in my search I found this forum, wow, so much info here.

so which ones are bushes or dwarfs?

jmrtsus

Fundamental
You can keep any fig tree to what size and shape you want. Take that 30 feet with a large grain of salt. There fig sold as dwarfs that are not always correct. The Little Miss Figgy is supposed to be a dwarf Violette De Bordeaux but the two seem to be the same size. Lil' Ruby will stay tiny with tiny crops, LOL. Any one can be trained to be a bush or single trunk. Figs fruit on new wood so trimming each fall will not prevent fruiting the next summer. Once a tree gets over 8 foot tall it gets difficult to pick the figs. So most of us trim each year. Simply prune top growth to encourage a bush type plant, trim side branches for a single or double trunk the top it each year. Where are you located?

tlbluestone

Fundamental
This is a Chicago Hardy type fig that I gave a rooted cutting to around 12 years ago. This picture was sent to me last year I think around this time of the year.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211018-221738_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211018-221738_Gallery.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 3

Titaniumgiant

Newly Registered
Registered
I went out to cut it yesterday and saw little green on the tips, looks like its gonna try!
I had taken two cuttings late February, they don't appear to be rooting, I think I will try couple more cuttings.
any tips on methods?, I tried the first two clipings potted in large clear cups and put in a sealed tub and it got moldy.

I will have to try again following what Shaft posted above #14,

https://www.figdatabase.com/figforum/threads/tree-or-bush.81/post-618
This is a good way to do:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g7JlxQ8TDQ&list=PL1gY7BoYBGIFRhxh123YD182OrlVJV2wc&index=4

Personally i have simply shave the outer layer with a knive stuck them in clear plastic cup with at least 2 nodes in the soil and let it be. Keep the potting soil moist but not soggy and it just works for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg