What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

URGENT PSA For All Fig Growers - Mediterranean Black Fig Fly

Evdurtschi

The Fig-Tator
Administrator
Recently, Igor posted on OurFigs about a pest that he found in some figs. A few others posted about seeing the same. I have now found it as well and have contacted the state. They suspect it could be a very troubling pest. ID is Mediterranean Black Fig Fly. Either of which is NOT a good thing and it seems like we have reports from Santa Barbara down to Orange County and possibly farther south.

The state sent a team of people here today and they have been collecting samples and they asked me to inform everyone about the potential hazard and asked for them to please report any similar findings, as soon as possible, to their local county ag department for sample pickup and testing.

I returned from Costa Rica a week ago and found a couple of figs the first day back and since then, I have collected over 100 additional affected figs. Not good at all.

Here are some pics of what I am finding. These larvae can also curl on themselves and spring away, up to 6 feet.

Here is the original post and there is excellent information there as well.

UPDATE: Looks like it has been confirmed that this IS Mediterranean Black Fig Fly. Please take a look at his, linked post for more details.

UPDATE 2: This appears to have entered the US through the fresh fig market and that is one of the primary ways it can spread but this is also spread through the soil. The larva fall to the ground and mature there, emerging as the adult BFF. It will be critical to make sure not to spread around potentially contaminated plants.

UPDATE 3: Great article about the BFF and treatment protocols

Attachments

• image_122989.jpg
    image_122989.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 7
  • image_122990.jpg
    image_122990.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 7
  • image_122991.jpg
    image_122991.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 4
  • image_122992.jpg