What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

What is a FOOD FOREST?

Iamthefigman

Fundamental
The food forest idea is becoming more of a reality as people want to be more self sufficient. I have started watching all these prepping videos on YouTube and the one thing I always think is purchasing prepared food is very finite.
Creating an edible forest gives the creator infinite choices. Choices of fruits and vegetables feeds not only feed the human but also the wildlife.
I would love to have some land and create my own food forest. I will consider myself eccentric right there alongside you.

Shaft

The food forest idea is becoming more of a reality as people want to be more self sufficient. I have started watching all these prepping videos on YouTube and the one thing I always think is purchasing prepared food is very finite.
Creating an edible forest gives the creator infinite choices. Choices of fruits and vegetables feeds not only feed the human but also the wildlife.
I would love to have some land and create my own food forest. I will consider myself eccentric right there alongside you.
I see the value in prepared food, because there are always situations where you might have to bug out. You can't take the orchard with you. But security in your food supply at home comes first. Then defense of the home, whatever form that might take. But if you can't defend, you need to have soemthing to fall back on. You're right though, it IS very finite. If we really do have a SHTF situation, those containers are going to run out sooner than you think. Grocery stores might be the thing. If you compost your waste, and selectively eat things that will spoil first, then grow vegetables and such from the seeds, you can get about 43 years of life extension in a grocery store for a single person.

I'm fairly certain this isn't the forum to discuss such things, but you should see from my trail of logic that my emphasis now that I have an orchard is on defending that orchard. Howitzer-mounted pickup trucks, lithium battery strips with styrofoam in a dried out gatorade bottle buried near fall back positions with access to water, toyota hiluxes, that sort of thing.

Iamthefigman

Fundamental
Don't get me wrong I totally see your point. I have over the last year tried to stock and keep extra items in case of emergency. The freeze we had this last year case in point, we were inside stuck inside for a couple of weeks. Our little stash made and kept us comfortable. My paranoia has me thinking things may get worse. I want to learn as much as I can through these forums.
But alas you're right this is not the place . I just feel that creating a food forest has it's merits as well as stockpiling other goods.

Shaft

I'm with you on the food forest. Send me a PM if you want to talk about the other things. I'm also going to be raising my own livestock. I really do think the supply chains are in serious danger right now, and we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Scianna