What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

When to Start Fertilizing

ToddS.

Newly Registered
Registered
Hello All,
I have a newbie question please. I have an I-258 in a container (indoors). It has come out of dormancy and has it's first couple of leaves (it is about 4 inches tall). When should I start adding fertilizer to this small tree? and what is a good starter fertilizer for such small fig trees? (or should I just leave it alone for a while?)

Shaft

I buy the Wal-mart knock-off of MG. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Expert-G...uble-Plant-Food-Fertilizer-5-lb-Box/138006473

This goes for all young plants, not just cuttings. Take a look at the N-P-K numbers. In this case it's 24-8-16. Most people know about this part of it, so I'll keep it brief. What most people don't know is what #s are safe for young plants, so they either overdo it or they don't do it at all.

The goal is to dilute this to 1-1-1, but anything under 5-5-5 is acceptable. So at this rate, it's 1tbsp per gallon of water and that will get you 24-8-16. If you cut that in half (1/2 tbsp) it yields 12-4-8. If you cut that in half, (1/4 tbsp), you're at 6-2-4, and if you cut that in half again it brings you within range at 1/8 tbsp (which is around 1/3 of a tsp) for a yield of 3-1-2. When do I use this? As soon as I suspect it might have roots. As I believe the roots are more established (And I have ways of testing this), I will up the concentration. When you're playing with dosage, look for signs of yellowing: if you see any, you've over-fertilized. Under-fertilization using this method isn't really an option, which is why I like it: If I see yellowing, I know which direction I'm erring. Otherwise, it's hard to tell the difference.

Figology

Fundamental
I would would use 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water to start. You don’t want to shock your roots with a ton of nutrients.

Figology

Fundamental
Keep in mind most soil will have a few months worth of essential nutrients. Any coco/pete has little nutritional value so they’ll need weak fertilizer when roots appear.

Shaft

Keep in mind most soil will have a few months worth of essential nutrients. Any coco/pete has little nutritional value so they’ll need weak fertilizer when roots appear.
Are you starting out with half a tsp at that point? I'm going for around 1/3-1/2 tsp. Are you saying that I could do 1/2 tsp?

Figology

Fundamental
Are you starting out with half a tsp at that point? I'm going for around 1/3-1/2 tsp. Are you saying that I could do 1/2 tsp?
1/2 tsp or 1/6 strength should be diluted enough for newly developed roots. I’m only using on my clear containers where I can see roots forming. I’m using when there’s roots and leaf formation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg