What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

Back on the Fig Pop Grind

Figology

Fundamental
Hello all,

I made some more Fig Pops with seedling cuttings today. I plan to donate some of them to the local high school when they start to root.

One thing I changed today is letting the cuttings soak in rooting hormone mixed with water for a little while. I figure the cuttings will uptake the hormone better with liquid. It’s my touch on the celery with dye experiment we all did in elementary.

Attachments

• F4504CA3-EC3D-4118-9D84-E8B2EF442347.jpeg
    F4504CA3-EC3D-4118-9D84-E8B2EF442347.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 88BC6515-AE20-4AB9-ACDA-9B7E98F085A6.jpeg
    88BC6515-AE20-4AB9-ACDA-9B7E98F085A6.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 9272B55D-90FE-431B-A841-F4CD2ED88D97.jpeg
    9272B55D-90FE-431B-A841-F4CD2ED88D97.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4

Shaft

I can confirm that that works. Have you ever left cuttings in water or another moist environment for too long? The lenticels begin to pop out. That shows the water is being uptaken into the cutting. By letting it soak for twenty four hours in a rooting hormone solution (I use willow water) it absorbs that water and that hormone, like meat in a brine absorbing salt. Great job!

Figology

Fundamental
I can confirm that that works. Have you ever left cuttings in water or another moist environment for too long? The lenticels begin to pop out. That shows the water is being uptaken into the cutting. By letting it soak for twenty four hours in a rooting hormone solution (I use willow water) it absorbs that water and that hormone, like meat in a brine absorbing salt. Great job
I can confirm that that works. Have you ever left cuttings in water or another moist environment for too long? The lenticels begin to pop out. That shows the water is being uptaken into the cutting. By letting it soak for twenty four hours in a rooting hormone solution (I use willow water) it absorbs that water and that hormone, like meat in a brine absorbing salt. Great job!
Water soak probably has some of the best results. I used to leave them in water for a few weeks. Had the best results with rain water.

sheergenius

Fundamental
Hello all,

I made some more Fig Pops with seedling cuttings today. I plan to donate some of them to the local high school when they start to root.

One thing I changed today is letting the cuttings soak in rooting hormone mixed with water for a little while. I figure the cuttings will uptake the hormone better with liquid. It’s my touch on the celery with dye experiment we all did in elementary.
Looking good.

Shaft

Water soak probably has some of the best results. I used to leave them in water for a few weeks. Had the best results with rain water.

I've heard of people getting all the way to root stage with water but it seems like a lot of effort to keep changing the water imho

Figology

Fundamental
Yeah, changing the water is a PITA. I once left a 10 inch cutting in a Crystal Geyser 1 gal container for a couple months. The water stayed clear somehow and the cutting grew 1/2 inch roots.
I've heard of people getting all the way to root stage with water but it seems like a lot of effort to keep changing the water imh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Scianna