What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

Fig varieties for hot and humid locations

elriba

Newly Registered
Registered
Hi,
I am new to growing figs. I live in Panama City, Panama. During the months of May to November our rain patterns are quite similar to those of Fort Lauderdale Florida. The temperatures are “somewhat” similar.
I know that Rigo has done a TON of research on which varieties work well for South Florida. I think that the same knowledge will work also for me in Panama, considering that the rain patterns are sowewhat similar.
I don’t have much space, so I want to get 4-5 very flavorful varieties. I read elsewhere that Col de Dame Blanc, Italian 258, Alma, and Smith would we good choices for hot and humid places, but I am hoping that Rigo and others in the south Florida area can save me some headaches (heartaches) here.

Right now I have Petite Negri (which hasn’t produced yet), and Black Mission which produced medium quality figs first, but then started to rain a lot and the last figs I harvested were a bit bland. I must say however that I am not sure if this was caused by the rain,or some error on my part on fertilization.

thanks for help!

Rigo007

Administrator
Hello @elriba and welcome to the new forum. I have been doing some observations (not as long as you may think) and have noticed that when it rains heavily, all figs (for the most part) take a dump unfortunately. However, some do very well. I have a pretty large collection but I can say that most simply don't perform well at all while others, although ruined with constant rain, can do very well if it rains for a few days with days of rest in between. I can share some varieties I will be keeping because they either produce very tasty brebas very, very early (before the rains start) or because they can handle a longer period of time with days on end of heavy rains.

Improved Celeste, Bourjasotte Noire, Unknown Prosciutto, Ruby Rose (very small fig but productive), Emerald Strawberry and a few more I can't remember right now but I'll update it here soon enough.

I found out today the variety "Burgisa" can do extremely well here too. Although it drop all the figs at first, it is now ripening its figs and it may be because it actually prefers extra water so it is loving the rains right now. It is a good size fig with closed eye and a very pleasant flavor.

I wanted to ask you, how do you acquire your fig varieties?

elriba

Newly Registered
Registered
Hello @elriba and welcome to the new forum. I have been doing some observations (not as long as you may think) and have noticed that when it rains heavily, all figs (for the most part) take a dump unfortunately. However, some do very well. I have a pretty large collection but I can say that most simply don't perform well at all while others, although ruined with constant rain, can do very well if it rains for a few days with days of rest in between. I can share some varieties I will be keeping because they either produce very tasty brebas very, very early (before the rains start) or because they can handle a longer period of time with days on end of heavy rains.

Improved Celeste, Bourjasotte Noire, Unknown Prosciutto, Ruby Rose (very small fig but productive), Emerald Strawberry and a few more I can't remember right now but I'll update it here soon enough.

I found out today the variety "Burgisa" can do extremely well here too. Although it drop all the figs at first, it is now ripening its figs and it may be because it actually prefers extra water so it is loving the rains right now. It is a good size fig with closed eye and a very pleasant flavor.

I wanted to ask you, how do you acquire your fig varieties?
Thanks for responding Rigo! I contacted you also on "OurFigs".

I am glad to know that THERE ARE varieties that work! Good!

As to how I acquire varieties, the company I work for has an office in Miami. It is an import/export company called Delvi, Inc. They can ship to me cuttings and/or plants. In fact, I have two varieties right now. One, Black Mission, was given to me by a Peruvian friend. On a trip to Peru, he gave me a couple of cuttings and I planted it here. The other "Petite Negri" I got from the United States. The "Petite Negri" is still growing.

Would it be possible to purchase cuttings from a couple of these varieties that have worked well for you? The office's address is:

Hopefully you can sell me some cuttings as that would be a good starting for my collection. Let me know!

Shaft

I understand Smith, the col de dames, and certain other figs do well in rainy conditions.

A few characteristics to look for would be

1. Is it a honey fig?

A lot of honey figs will wash the honey flavor out of them in the rain, and can become insipid tasting.

2. What is the shape of the fig?

If the fig is more narrow (instead of rounded), the water will fall off the fig when it rains. With something rounder than it is tall, like Ronde de Bordeaux perhaps, the water spends longer on the fig than more narrow varieties. This water absorbs through the skin into the fig and can cause splitting

3. How does the eye appear?

The eye is another way rain can enter the fig, and larger eyes will mean more splitting

4. How thick is the skin?

A thicker-skinned fig like Col de Dame holds up better to rain than thinner skin varieties

5. Is it a known splitter?

Fig varieties which are known to split should be avoided

jmrtsus

Fundamental
A fig has has genetic traits that determine its response to rain. If you have a large open Ostiole the rain drops on the fruit can introduce fungus that rots the fig. Not to mention the open door to insects. You will see many people that grow figs in pots try to cover the pot to limit the rain. As to swelling with water that is from the roots and the internal water pressure forces some types like my Brown Turkey and LSU Gold to split if they see a cloud, LOL! Some figs are resistant to this, a Celeste hardly ever has this problem which is why it is the most popular tree in the South, my Little Miss Figgy will also split with rain. The Tena does not and it was produced to provide a good drying fig to grow in non-wasp areas of Cali. Dried they are an excellent fig, dehydrator is running now with a batch of Tena's and LSU Purple and Champagne figs, all three will be producing until first frost. The Tena Impresses me more each year. Glad to see you getting your new figs sorted out. Looks like a good haul!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg