What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

Israeli 7 Fig Giveaway

Shaft

Okay so we're going to do a contest. By entering this contest, you agree to pay the cost of shipping for this item. Shipping averages around $20, $15-$25 if you're East of the Rocky Mountains. West of the Rocky Mountains might need to add $10

Tell me how you got into figs, what inspired you, what keeps you here today? The person with the best story that makes me smile, wins.

Contest ends in October.

7.jpg

Newbie2figs

Fundamental
Good luck to the winner , haven’t tasted it yet but history behind that is all I need for friends and family!! That’s nice of you Shaft 👏👍

GusMitchell

Newly Registered
Registered
Very generous,

I grew up in rural SW VA, I never saw any fig trees or any fig fruit other than a fig Newton growing up. I suppose it is a little chilly there and just wasn’t in the culture. After moving to the Memphis area I “discovered“ figs, and wow as a fruit lover what an amazing treat. Figs are common in yards around here and you mostly find Celeste or brown turkeys.

I’ve always been an outdoors person and enjoyed growing things. I started growing figs because winter can be so dreary and starting cuttings uplifted my spirit and help to pass those winter days.

I keep after figs because they are amazing, easy to propagate, reasonably quick to fruit, and the variety of flavors you can get growing them are astonishing.

Figlover58

Fundamental
Even though my knowledge and love for fig was because the Bible talks a lot about, all was a "Platonic" love and knowledge. It was back o. 2017 while going through one of the worse time in live when in beddriven for a year because of a back problem. I was watching someone on YouTube showing his fig trees that caught my attention. I contacted that person and it happened that was a she, she send me two small twigs in two small Styrofoam cup. While in convalescence I took so much care of them that they made it.
Eversince I have been reading, asking, watching videos and participating in conversations about figs. To be honest, I haven’t advanced to much in my collection because of a bad experience, someone sold me a supposedly Black Madeira tree and then I didn't heard of that person anymore. I did pay quite a bit for that tree that I have been afraid to try again.
Even when afraid, I did bought a Tiger Panache cutting and Martinenca Rimada and some good people have share some varieties with me. So far I own 5 known ones and 3 unknown ones.
I have been looking for good willing people to help me out to increase my collection. I am in my 60s and don't know how far I can get, but I will give my best to finish with a good collection with the help of good people and I will not be thinking about how good that fig could be by just watching FB pictures but by tasting my own.
I hope people be more than willing to share than to make a dollar, by giving you make friendships, by selling you make customers.
Wilberto

Shaft

Even though my knowledge and love for fig was because the Bible talks a lot about, all was a "Platonic" love and knowledge. It was back o. 2017 while going through one of the worse time in live when in beddriven for a year because of a back problem. I was watching someone on YouTube showing his fig trees that caught my attention. I contacted that person and it happened that was a she, she send me two small twigs in two small Styrofoam cup. While in convalescence I took so much care of them that they made it.
Eversince I have been reading, asking, watching videos and participating in conversations about figs. To be honest, I haven’t advanced to much in my collection because of a bad experience, someone sold me a supposedly Black Madeira tree and then I didn't heard of that person anymore. I did pay quite a bit for that tree that I have been afraid to try again.
Even when afraid, I did bought a Tiger Panache cutting and Martinenca Rimada and some good people have share some varieties with me. So far I own 5 known ones and 3 unknown ones.
I have been looking for good willing people to help me out to increase my collection. I am in my 60s and don't know how far I can get, but I will give my best to finish with a good collection with the help of good people and I will not be thinking about how good that fig could be by just watching FB pictures but by tasting my own.
I hope people be more than willing to share than to make a dollar, by giving you make friendships, by selling you make customers.
Wilberto
Hey, pm me. When I get cuttings from my bm they're yours

sheergenius

Fundamental
Growing up my grandmother and all here friends grew food! Amazing food from corn, to greens, peaches to apples, muscadines to figs. I was a big boy so i loved to eat! I remember the the first time I tasted a fig and it was horrible, Now granted, I picked the darn fig myself so who knows if it was a good pick or not. I told my grandmother, I had her figs and i hated it. Remember tho, im a big boy so i loved to eat.

My grandmother then let my try a fig newtons, and oh my gosh, talk about nasty. Scarred for life. Lol. So since my childhood, I have not been able to get that taste, that thought of the tasting figs are fig newtons out of my head. Fast forward 20+ years and im in lowes and my I let my 3 daughters pick out flowers and plants to put in the yard or garden. My middle daughter picked up this little fig tree(white Marseilles). It had big figs all over it already. She said " Daddy I want this" Flashback Moment for me " nasty fig newtons and my nasty first fig".

Man, I did everything to talk here out of it, I told her that figs are nasty, they taste like dirt, and that she should get a peach tree. She insisted. so i took the funky little tree home and we planted it(in a pot), because It definitely wasn't taking up any real estate in my yard. So, The fruit ripens and I cut it and give it to my daughters. Middle child said dad, This doesn't taste like dirt, This taste like heaven." She's naturally a funny kid so I gave her the side eye! I reluctantly tried it and to my surprise, it was really good. I wanted more and i ate the rest of the fruit as it ripened cuz ima big boy and i love to eat. :) Oddly enough a few weeks later, i ordered a cara cara orange tree from a nursery and as gift they sent me an Lsu purple fig tree with it for free. So now i have 2 trees and im seeking more varieties. Why? because im a big boy and i like to eat. :)

Iamthefigman

Fundamental
I wanted to let you know how I got into growing. As a child my family lived in Corpus Christi . We had a huge yard with several large trees but my favorite was a large fig tree. I don’t know the variety but I remember so many summers we at those fig right off the tree. Fast forward to more recent I had to have back surgery in 2018 and over the next two I had four back surgeries.
the only hobby I could handle was growing fig cuttings. It helped my mind and kept me sane. I researched everything fig related. I bought as many cuttings as I could. Some actually survived.
The best thing was being able to focus on learning about becoming a better gardener. This year I had so many figs in pots I was able to sell those figs. We used the money raised to put park benches in the park in our community. My two sons and myself mixed all the concrete and cut and stained all the lumber.
I will attach more pictures we place them , but they turned out pretty good. This hobby of growing figs helped me bond with my sons and reach out and connect with members of my our community.
I am still healing but will forever cherish all that has happened this last year. I hope to learn more from every person here.

Attachments

• 0D7B2530-0BD8-4CC3-AF6A-E6F22B0FEEB3.jpeg
    0D7B2530-0BD8-4CC3-AF6A-E6F22B0FEEB3.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 2

Shaft

I wanted to let you know how I got into growing. As a child my family lived in Corpus Christi . We had a huge yard with several large trees but my favorite was a large fig tree. I don’t know the variety but I remember so many summers we at those fig right off the tree. Fast forward to more recent I had to have back surgery in 2018 and over the next two I had four back surgeries.
the only hobby I could handle was growing fig cuttings. It helped my mind and kept me sane. I researched everything fig related. I bought as many cuttings as I could. Some actually survived.
The best thing was being able to focus on learning about becoming a better gardener. This year I had so many figs in pots I was able to sell those figs. We used the money raised to put park benches in the park in our community. My two sons and myself mixed all the concrete and cut and stained all the lumber.
I will attach more pictures we place them , but they turned out pretty good. This hobby of growing figs helped me bond with my sons and reach out and connect with members of my our community.
I am still healing but will forever cherish all that has happened this last year. I hope to learn more from every person here.
There is such a positive side to this hobby of ours and I think sometimes we lose sight of that. I'm so glad you and your sons were able to do this for your community, and bond at the same time. Family, friends, figs... what more could you ask for in a happy life?

Shaft

UPDATE: There is a clear leader in this contest so far. This is just a reminder that the contest will end in 1-2 weeks, so any last minute entries should be submitted soon. Thank you so much for participating!

Shaft

Cᴏɴɢʀᴀᴛᴜʟᴀᴛɪᴏɴs!

Contest Winner:
sheergenius
Runner-up: iamthefigman

If the two contest winners will please message me their information privately we will get everything wrapped up.

Oh, did I not mention that the runner-up will receive cuttings of the Israeli-7 fig when the time comes? Oh. Whoops. ;-)

sheergenius

Fundamental
Cᴏɴɢʀᴀᴛᴜʟᴀᴛɪᴏɴs!

Contest Winner:
sheergenius
Runner-up: iamthefigman

If the two contest winners will please message me their information privately we will get everything wrapped up.

Oh, did I not mention that the runner-up will receive cuttings of the Israeli-7 fig when the time comes? Oh. Whoops. ;-)
awesomeness....... cant wait

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kinghat