What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

Joualle Noire - The Sugar Fig Champ!!

Evdurtschi

The Fig-Tator
Administrator
I prefer berry flavor figs with complex and intense flavors and the vast majority of my collection reflects that preference. That said, lots of people love sweet figs so I grow a few. I have tríales many of them and have narrowed it down to just a few.
Some of my favorites are: LSU Tiger, Zaffiro, Dolce Calderai and Golden Rainbow. All of these are more complex than many of the others I have tried and they have other characteristics that have kept them around.
I had no idea that Joualle Noire would be more of a sweet fig than a berry fig. The intense deep color makes you think it will have a strong berry flavor. This fig is just so awesome. I have probably had 30 already this year and I am amazed every time I have one. I keep expecting to be let down but end up being even more impressed.
This one has of the most dense pulps of any that I’ve tried. It is on par with the Col de Dame types. It is so thick and pancake battery!!! The flavor is complex but with multiple layers of sweetness and a perfect balance of light red berry flavor and buttery caramel with a seed crunch that makes me think of tiny sugar crystals bursting every bite.
Joualle Noire is gorgeous and the flavor is fantastic. It has surpassed Zaffiro as my favorite sugar fig!!! I never thought that would happen. 🤯

Attachments

• 09EDB598-129B-4056-B2B2-B8C6D1B6EE32.jpeg
    09EDB598-129B-4056-B2B2-B8C6D1B6EE32.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 211750F0-9D10-4F88-889E-CF7925848B58.jpeg
    211750F0-9D10-4F88-889E-CF7925848B58.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3
  • 650776D0-DBC9-484F-BA89-9AE2C2FB4D44.jpeg
    650776D0-DBC9-484F-BA89-9AE2C2FB4D44.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 7977A679-F32B-44EE-AA62-CA33457F2512.jpeg
    7977A679-F32B-44EE-AA62-CA33457F2512.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
  • EE57070E-7190-46A7-9FC3-587C71A05313.jpeg
    EE57070E-7190-46A7-9FC3-587C71A05313.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • D9DE2DBA-9C5D-4E05-B988-DD99A189BF0A.jpeg
    D9DE2DBA-9C5D-4E05-B988-DD99A189BF0A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

Shaft

I'm dying to get Zaffiro, but if you say this is better... *drools*

Speaking of Golden Rainbow -- and I know I'm late to this -- but it's the same as Yellow Long Neck? Someone just told me it was, and I think I've heard others say it too.

Evdurtschi

The Fig-Tator
Administrator

Speaking of Golden Rainbow -- and I know I'm late to this -- but it's the same as Yellow Long Neck? Someone just told me it was, and I think I've heard others say it too.
YLN and GR are probably the same.
You should definitely get Zaffiro. It’s totally different from JN and my second favorite sugar fig

Shaft

Huh. Okay. That's what I had been told by Kremp:

Zaffiro is a black fig with a contrasting white/yellow pulp. The lemon custard look of the pulp hints at the fig’s citrusy flavor. Zaffiro is complex with other flavors including nutty, coconut, cinnamon, and persimmon. Zaffiro is a vigorous grower and puts out a prolific harvest, making it a reliable and desirable fig.

I was also told:

Zaffiro is an Italian variety that was originally from the collection of Fig Art by Nikky. This fig is especially desirable for those with short growing seasons because it ripens quickly. Some have noted that Zaffiro is able to move from swelling to fully ripe and black within 5 days. The variety is also resistant to detachment or splitting from the tree during heavy rains--another bonus for northern gardeners. Zaffiro is a honey fig, but unlike others in its class, it maintains its honey flavor and thicker texture even in colder climates that are dissimilar from its Mediterranean native area.

Most difficult to root but once established it grows very robust. The figs do not spoil in our extreme heat which makes it a perfect choice. This fig lives up to the hype. It’s an excellent sugar fig. The flavor is that it lightly caramelized sugar with a hint of caramel and an interesting green banana note. Nice tasting and thin skin. Juicy and refreshing. Some of the sweet figs are cloyingly sweet but this one is just right.

[Can purchase on Kremp or from FigsArt by Nikki]

Evdurtschi

The Fig-Tator
Administrator
Huh. Okay. That's what I had been told by Kremp:

I was also told:
Sounds like a bit of a stretch to me but it is definitely a more complex sugar fig than most. :) Mine are also caprified and maybe that changes the flavor profile and mutes some of those more subtle notes

Shaft

True. I'll let you know when I get one. Would be interesting to compare. I'm also curious how that i7 tastes caprified.

Newbie2figs

Fundamental
Y

Speaking of Golden Rainbow -- and I know I'm late to this -- but it's the same as Yellow Long Neck? Someone just told me it was, and I think I've heard others say it too

Newbie2figs

Fundamental
Hopefully I can get the Joualle collection since some of the prices have gone down and my YLN was one that didn’t make the Texas freeze my RGR from Eric did so if they are the same I don’t have to add that one to the list again 😀

Rigo007

Administrator
Wow, that looks so good.....

AnaFL

Newly Registered
Registered
Looks so good!! I don't have those, but my Italian honey surprised me. I am usually like figgy and berry taste but was impressed with IH. Thin skin, nothing chewy, sweet, juiciest fig that explodes in mouth.

Figlover58

Fundamental
I prefer berry flavor figs with complex and intense flavors and the vast majority of my collection reflects that preference. That said, lots of people love sweet figs so I grow a few. I have tríales many of them and have narrowed it down to just a few.
Some of my favorites are: LSU Tiger, Zaffiro, Dolce Calderai and Golden Rainbow. All of these are more complex than many of the others I have tried and they have other characteristics that have kept them around.
I had no idea that Joualle Noire would be more of a sweet fig than a berry fig. The intense deep color makes you think it will have a strong berry flavor. This fig is just so awesome. I have probably had 30 already this year and I am amazed every time I have one. I keep expecting to be let down but end up being even more impressed.
This one has of the most dense pulps of any that I’ve tried. It is on par with the Col de Dame types. It is so thick and pancake battery!!! The flavor is complex but with multiple layers of sweetness and a perfect balance of light red berry flavor and buttery caramel with a seed crunch that makes me think of tiny sugar crystals bursting every bite.
Joualle Noire is gorgeous and the flavor is fantastic. It has surpassed Zaffiro as my favorite sugar fig!!! I never thought that would happen. 🤯
It sure looks like it is a great fig, I wish I could get it some day and taste the good in it.

Figlover58

Fundamental
It sure looks like it is a great fig, I wish I could get it some day and taste the good in it.
Wilberto

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kinghat