What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

Mulberry

tridrama

Fundamental
I am interested in growing a dwarf mulberry in zone 7b. Does anyone know of a great variety that would grow well in heavy clay soil? What is the best way to propagate mulberries?

Shaft

Mulberries are highly related to figs; cuttings work just fine.

Mulberries are native to North America. Should grow just fine in pretty much any climate on the east coast, but clay soil doesn't bother them too much.

Are you looking for a black mulberry, a red or a white?

tridrama

Fundamental
Interested in a black dwarf variety. I've heard a little about this "World's Best" being promoted by a youtuber. I tried a native variety but it didn't like our clay soil, I currently have it in a pot to recover. Between the clay soil and the deer in our area, it's been difficult to grow them. I'm considering sticking with container.

Shaft

Interested in a black dwarf variety. I've heard a little about this "World's Best" being promoted by a youtuber. I tried a native variety but it didn't like our clay soil, I currently have it in a pot to recover. Between the clay soil and the deer in our area, it's been difficult to grow them. I'm considering sticking with container.
I've got a black dwarf variety I got from Wellspring on Etsy. It's a slow-growing TC though. I've heard a lot about World's Best as well but IDK if it's a dwarf variety.

As far as your clay soil, have you tried mixing in pine bark fines? It'll keep your soil aerated. Dig the hole 3x larger than the container the tree is in. I take a pickaxe and break up the sides of the hole as well. It's done great in my hard red clay. I also mix rice hulls into this, and biochar, and oyster shells (for figs). Then I top-dress with compost and mulch with alfalfa. Sometimes I mix the compost into the hole as well, still experimenting with this.

tridrama

Fundamental
We're working on it. I have two blueberry bushes that are in ground in doing well. It took years, but I did put pine mulch in the holes when they were planted. All of the others are in pots, because they were just not growing in ground. Same with a gogi berry I had for two years in-ground and it was the same size. I put it in a pot, and it tripled in size between spring and fall and bloomed that year. No berries, yet. I'm hoping it will get berries this year.

We have several raised beds for our garden and slowly add trees as we are able to get the soil conditions right.

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely try some of these options.

Shaft

Goji berries usually fruit between years 3-5. Be ready to process them, they taste terrible fresh. I have both black and red varieties.

I've been working this land less than a year. Using nitrogen fixers and pioneer species, I've been able to radically transform this land. They are way more powerful than most people give them credit for.

SeattleFigs

Newly Registered
Registered
Hi you can try either dwarf issai or thai dwarf. i tried WB im not sure its the best for my area in WA state we lack of heat.
My local friend as a really large dwarf black everbearing here i shared about it in my channel. It just not my taste so i dont personally collect it.
dwarf everbearing mulberry

Figology

Fundamental
I have a dwarf variety. It’s about 7ft tall and barely gives any fruit (Like 10 berries). It’s about 3 years old, in the ground, and gets plenty of water and nutrition. I don’t think it likes full sun that much. I’d probably rather have a regular variety in a pot.
I am interested in growing a dwarf mulberry in zone 7b. Does anyone know of a great variety that would grow well in heavy clay soil? What is the best way to propagate mulberries?

Shaft

I have a dwarf variety. It’s about 7ft tall and barely gives any fruit (Like 10 berries). It’s about 3 years old, in the ground, and gets plenty of water and nutrition. I don’t think it likes full sun that much. I’d probably rather have a regular variety in a pot.
Generally speaking, it's years 3-5 that you see a real burst in most fruit trees. I'd give it at least one extra year if not two.

tridrama

Fundamental
Goji berries usually fruit between years 3-5. Be ready to process them, they taste terrible fresh. I have both black and red varieties.

I've been working this land less than a year. Using nitrogen fixers and pioneer species, I've been able to radically transform this land. They are way more powerful than most people give them credit for.
I've heard Goji's are not good fresh. I almost got a black one, but someone told me they are not as good as the red. Have yours fruited yet? What are your ideas for processing? Drying?

tridrama

Fundamental
Thanks for the insight.

tridrama

Fundamental
Hi you can try either dwarf issai or thai dwarf. i tried WB im not sure its the best for my area in WA state we lack of heat.
My local friend as a really large dwarf black everbearing here i shared about it in my channel. It just not my taste so i dont personally collect it.
dwarf everbearing mulberry
I'll have to check this out. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I'm off to do some more research now!

Shaft

I've heard Goji's are not good fresh. I almost got a black one, but someone told me they are not as good as the red. Have yours fruited yet? What are your ideas for processing? Drying?
yeah they taste terrible fresh. Dried is really good though. I'm still experimenting with other options.

AnaFL

Newly Registered
Registered
I have Jan's best dwarf everbearing that she, mulberry collector Jan from Lakeland, says its better than worlds best.
It's less than 1 year and produces non stop. When it's done, i trim it down to 3 feet size and new growth produces again.
She has youtube on that varieties and others.

Last edited:

Shaft

I have Jan's best dwarf everbearing that she, mulberry collector Jan from Lakeland, says its better than worlds best.
It's less than 1 year and produces non stop. When it's done, i trim it down to 3 feet size and new growth produces again.
I think I've seen her video on this!

tridrama

Fundamental
Wow. I'll have to look into this one. I'll check back for more info if I can't locate the video from what you've provided here. Thanks for your input.

I checked it out. It looks like she has a few videos that I've watched in the past. How did you come by getting the plant? Does she have a website?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Scianna