The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

Must read article on ripening figs early!๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿฅณ๐ŸŽ‰

Figs4all

Fundamental
Fascinating and useful article on ripening figs early. One of the authors is Ed O'Rourke, Jr!

Key takeaways are:

1. Fig cuttings have been rooted by humans for more than 10,000 years, making them one of the first cultivated crops. This was pre-pottery Neolithic times!

2. The age old trick of oiling figs to ripen them faster has science behind it. Oiling figs ripens them faster because it helps trap ethylene gas produced by the fig, that usually escapes through the open eye. Ethylene gas ripens fruit very quickly.

Shaft

Saw this on facebook but couldn't post on your thread -- the Zucksgod has ruled I am to be silent for 30 days =)

I think it's really cool, but I thought figs were immune to ethylene? I always thought the oil heated up the fig more, but didn't quite develop the brix level as much.

Figs4all

Fundamental
Saw this on facebook but couldn't post on your thread -- the Zucksgod has ruled I am to be silent for 30 days =)

I think it's really cool, but I thought figs were immune to ethylene? I always thought the oil heated up the fig more, but didn't quite develop the brix level as much.
Wow, you have been silenced on FB. That is crazy. I tried oiling this last few weeks andit seems to work great for some varieties bit not for others. My Martinenca Rimada tasted great after 5 days, but the BNR - not so much. The color is off on some varieties too like my RdB was somewhat white inside but sweet - crazy!

Shaft

Lol I'm used to facebook jail. No big deal. I created a separate account there to talk politics, and that worked for awhile -- that account would get jailed but not my main one, which I use for sales. But I guess they recently starting placing identification info in cookies, or started caring, because now both accounts got the shaft.

That's interesting it's providing a different experience with different figs. You attribute that to cultivar. Are there any environmental factors, like maybe one is getting more sun or something, that might be worth considering? Just an idle question, I know next to nothing about this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kinghat