What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

New to Figgin in SWFL

Figalo17

Newly Registered
Registered
Hey there, reaching out as I just picked up my first fig trees today. Starting out with a Brown Turkey, LSU Purple, an Olympian and Beers Black. Plan to transplant and grow in containers. Looking forward to learning from anyone and everyone willing to provide their experiences and share their insights. Heard about the Fig Database site while watching a Pepe's Fruit Trees video on YouTube with Rigo in Ft Laud while both of them were sharing their knowledge, which is greatly appreciated.

tlbluestone

Fundamental
Hi, i have the LSU PURPLE and it's grown in a container and this will be the 3rd year for figs on it. The first year the figs tasted okay but last year was better and now I'm hoping this year for a better tasty fig than past years. I've seen this talked about by several people.

Figalo17

Newly Registered
Registered
Hi, i have the LSU PURPLE and it's grown in a container and this will be the 3rd year for figs on it. The first year the figs tasted okay but last year was better and now I'm hoping this year for a better tasty fig than past years. I've seen this talked about by several people.
Hello tlbluestone, and heard re LSU Purple, sounds similar to a fine wine, needing patience and time to let it age properly. I read this variety and the others I chose were pretty hardy and resistant, which is sorta why I went with trying out a few basic common fig trees before attempting to grow some of the lesser known exotic and tastier figs I've recently being learning about. How big is the container you've got yours in now? Did you have to up-pot each of the last two years?

Rigo007

Administrator
Welcome to the forum Figalo17 . Learn about the soil mix you will use, then location of where your fig trees do best like a spot where they get partial sun or half day of sun exposure. Then your chances of getting better quality figs will improve. Trust me, when people say figs need full sun, they havent dealt with our South Florida sun....lol

Then just get varieties proven by people in your zone. LSU Tiger is a great variety. But if you want to trial other types like a green fig, I recommend Dalmatie, Strawberry Cypress or Nordland. These 3 do great here.

Figalo17

Newly Registered
Registered
Welcome to the forum Figalo17 . Learn about the soil mix you will use, then location of where your fig trees do best like a spot where they get partial sun or half day of sun exposure. Then your chances of getting better quality figs will improve. Trust me, when people say figs need full sun, they havent dealt with our South Florida sun....lol

Then just get varieties proven by people in your zone. LSU Tiger is a great variety. But if you want to trial other types like a green fig, I recommend Dalmatie, Strawberry Cypress or Nordland. These 3 do great here.
Appreciate the welcome Rigo007! Good to know about partial/half day sun exposure in South FL. Will certainly look into tasting/trying green figs as well. Looking forward to it.

tlbluestone

Fundamental
Hello tlbluestone, and heard re LSU Purple, sounds similar to a fine wine, needing patience and time to let it age properly. I read this variety and the others I chose were pretty hardy and resistant, which is sorta why I went with trying out a few basic common fig trees before attempting to grow some of the lesser known exotic and tastier figs I've recently being learning about. How big is the container you've got yours in now? Did you have to up-pot each of the last two years?
It's at least a trade 7 gallon container I'm thinking. No I didn't up pot it since I bought it, but I will be doing it this coming winter.

tlbluestone

Fundamental
It's at least a trade 7 gallon container I'm thinking. No I didn't up pot it since I bought it, but I will be doing it this coming winter.
And now in less than a month of the growing season, the figs I've been eating are totally different tasting. The Tree is definitely a keeper so now I will need to root more cuttings from it.

Figalo17

Newly Registered
Registered
A month in, and after transplanting and feeding my small trees, there's been some vigorous growth in addition to the first two figlets fruiting forth, one on the LSU Purple and the other one on the Olympian. Know I got a long way to go/grow, but I am taking the 'win' for now. Quick question, even though I'm in South FL, is it unusual to see new fruit this late in the 'season'?

tlbluestone

Fundamental
No it's not unusual to see new figlets this time of year, but they might not ripen. Some will some won't, I wish they all would ripen

Figalo17

Newly Registered
Registered
No it's not unusual to see new figlets this time of year, but they might not ripen. Some will some won't, I wish they all would ripen
Understood tlbluestone, and regardless if we're in SWFL, the fig trees will still enter into dormancy this winter (Jan/Feb) for minimal period, correct?

Shaft

Welcome to the Fig spot! I hope you enjoy your stay. If you have any questions feel free to ask me or one of the other awesome people around here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Scianna