What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand -Gooday!

arfabuck

Newly Registered
Registered
Hello from down under. Figs were introduced into New Zealand over 150 years ago by early European settlers. There were no indigenous cultivars existing before that. We broke away from Gondwanaland before the genus existed.

Since the first introductions we now have approximately 186 varieties listed, and with strict border quarantine regulations in force, it will take a dedicated fig grower to bring in anything new.

Of the listed varieties, many are doubles, misnamed or just plain fanciful creations by growers. A problem world wide I understand.

The country goes from Zone 8 in the south and mountains to zone 11 in the far north with the majority in 9 and 10. Ideal for fig growing.

Fig growing has only recently taken off in the last 20 years, mainly due to a large influx of non european migrants seeking the fruit and a growing awareness by the european population. Long may it continue!

We have several commercial orchards in production ( 2022 total -1000acres ), however it is increasing fast as the fig fruit is becoming more visible in the markets and demand grows.

There is reluctance by commercial growers to divulge information alarmed by competition. This can be borne out by the market price of $4 per piece dropping to $1 last year. Not even breaking point.

The majority of growers are container pot/backyard individuals who are pushing the boundaries ever further. There is no regulated body/Association to oversee the industry in NZ. With so many individuals having indepent mind sets, it will probably never happen in the foreseeable future.

I am personally in Zone 10 in a sheltered eco system, so information from overseas does not necessarily apply. It is a game of trial and error to see what suits my particular situation.

Fascinating fruit and plenty to experiment with.

cheers,

Arfabuck
Glenbrook NZ

Shaft

Welcome to the Fig spot! I hope you enjoy your stay. If you have any questions feel free to ask me or one of the other awesome people around here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg