What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

Oak St Unknown - Possible Identification? - A Local Gem in Any Case

Shaft

A little-known local gem (Greenville, NC), this tree grows in the yard of East Carolina University students who come and go each year. The original planter is unknown but I am attempting to reach the owner of the property for comment.

It is a sweet, but not too-sweet fig that tastes overwhelmingly of berry, with an excellent seed crunch as well. The skin is thin and is presumably the source of the faint sweetness. The pleasant and distinct berry flavor lingers on the palate for quit some time after consuming, persistent even after traditional palate cleansers.

1.jpg 2.jpg 4.jpg 8.jpg 3.jpg

5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 9.jpg

Shaft

Just for the record, I considered calling it "White Madeira #3 Unknown" just to annoy certain people, but didn't ;-)

Shaft

I found out last night when I went under there to take some 5 foot tall cuttings that it's actually two trees. There's a distinct possibility I have the wrong leaf in one of those photos. Underneath the leaves and the tangle of branches are two round areas maybe 5-10 feet apart that represent two distinct balls of roots for individual trees. I don't know if they are the same variety, but the fruit is only just now beginning to form on the second tree. I suspect it may not ripen in time.

I'd estimate the tree is at least 10 maybe 20 years old, but who knows? There's some pretty thick parts.

Figology

Fundamental
Wonder if someone threw a fertilized fig in there. Kinda strange to have multiple in one location

Shaft

Wonder if someone threw a fertilized fig in there. Kinda strange to have multiple in one location
I'm thinking the same thing. I do it on purpose, but you can tell it's on purpose. This seems like it's never been managed, never been pruned, might not have even known what it was. ECU has been a pretty major university for over a century, and the Tar river is a main shipping route, so it's possible immigrants brought over something from the old country as well, but a seedling seems more accurate based on what I've observed. I can't confirm any of this though; to me it's just a really good fig, until someone can tell me more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Scianna