What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

South-West Fig Growers

Shaft

Hey, it might be useful to have lists of where people are from. Different regions experience different climates, different obstacles, different challenges to overcome. This list might also be useful to organize a get-together some place, some time in the future. Who knows the possibilities? Please leave a comment with your name, location, and zone to get added to the list or private message me. Any additional information you wish to provide is welcome!

This list is for the hot and arid sandy mesas of the Western US

• Tony (Figology) | Los Angeles, CA | Zone 9b
  • (Norm) | Tucson, Az | Zone 9a

Last edited:

sal48

Newly Registered
Registered
My name is Sal and I live in Cape Coral, Florida, Zone 10
I was growing fios about 10 years ago and tried to plant some inground and some near concrete structures (to avoid nematodes).
Nematodes decimated those inground. What was left was Celeste and LSU purple and both happened to be planted near concrete
Also a Peter's Honey that was near the house wall and receiving the dripping from the AC.
This spring I have started adding new varieties but now I got them in pots.
Here in SW Florida figs do better in partial shade and pots give the flexibility of moving them around.

tlbluestone

Fundamental
I'm going to build something higher around all my potted fig trees next year to keep the containers cooler. By doing so I think I will have healthier trees. Less stress on the root ball seems like they would also produce larger fruit, plus the need for watering would require less water because the evaporation rate would be less.

sal48

Newly Registered
Registered
I have two 45-gallon barrels (those blue sturdy ones) and I am planning to cut in half, take out the bottoms and put them inground. It should provide defense from nematodes, give the advantages of in ground trees and they are sturdy so they will resist the passing of time.
Worth trying.

Alienx

Newly Registered
Registered
Hi I'm Lexa growing in zone 9B desert Phoenix, AZ. At the moment I only have 1 fig tree but I'm planning on grafting different varieties to it. Any recommendations for my location is always appreciated :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nueces Neg