What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

Southern Style Peter's Honey?

Getfiggywitit65

Fundamental
I was outside this morning and noticed that a couple of figs on my Peter's Honey fig tree were actually starting to swell. I received the tree back in September, it had 6 unripened figs on it, being as late as it was I suspected they would not ripen before going dormant. You can see from the pic that it appears quite a ways off from dormancy
, in fact the temperature is expected to rise to the low 80's this week, my question is since it's origin is the PNW does that affect it's typical dormancy date? Most of my more southern varieties have loss their leaves. 20211220_103124.jpg

Shaft

I would say yes, and no to the degree that a tree is adapted to the climes it was grown in (so who knows where Peter's Honey actually comes from? But this one came from the PNW, so its mother tree is adapted to that environment). If it's a little more cold resistant and less sensitive to changes in light, then yeah, that makes sense that it would carry that forth to Texas for you. But don't rely on it, it will slowly go away. Or maybe not that slowly, as the tree adapts to its new environment.

Getfiggywitit65

Fundamental
I would say yes, and no to the degree that a tree is adapted to the climes it was grown in (so who knows where Peter's Honey actually comes from? But this one came from the PNW, so its mother tree is adapted to that environment). If it's a little more cold resistant and less sensitive to changes in light, then yeah, that makes sense that it would carry that forth to Texas for you. But don't rely on it, it will slowly go away. Or maybe not that slowly, as the tree adapts to its new environment.
That's pretty much the logic I applied to this situation. Today I checked it again and to my surprise I found honey leaking from the eye's of two of them and has a very soft feel to them. The temperature here today was 78 degree F. and I suspect barring any wildlife intervention, I may be tasting my first Peter's Honey on Christmas day Peters Honey2.jpg

Shaft

That's pretty much the logic I applied to this situation. Today I checked it again and to my surprise I found honey leaking from the eye's of two of them and has a very soft feel to them. The temperature here today was 78 degree F. and I suspect barring any wildlife intervention, I may be tasting my first Peter's Honey on Christmas day View attachment 1079
What an amazing gift from Mother Earth!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Scianna