What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

The Osborn Figs | Are there differences?

Rigo007

Staff member
Administrator
So today I decided to do a little research on the Osborn fig varieties due to a message I saw on the database from our friend jmrtsus . On the database, we currently only have:
You must be registered for see images attach

Archipel has been edited to not show as part of this group. I found there is a Osborn's Prolific which was told is different a variety (possibly Archipel/Encanto Brown Turkey) and then there seems to be a "Osborne Prolific which seems to be a much darker fig than that of Osborn Prolific. In other words, I need help with opinions on what varieties are what, which are simply synonyms and what should be taken out/added in to the database. What are your thoughts on these group of varieties?
I will hold off on editing much until I get some comments on here. Perhaps jmrtsus would like to join the database editing team? ;)

Shaft

Registered
Fundamental
He'd certainly be a good fit! Do it John jmrtsus!
I've been wondering the same thing. Someone once said my Israeli 7 looks similar to Osborn, so I've added these three to my search just to confirm. Would be nice to know if they're all the same or not :)

Last edited:

jmrtsus

Registered
Fundamental
So today I decided to do a little research on the Osborn fig varieties due to a message I saw on the database from our friend jmrtsus . On the database, we currently only have:

Archipel has been edited to not show as part of this group. I found there is a Osborn's Prolific which was told is different a variety (possibly Archipel/Encanto Brown Turkey) and then there seems to be a "Osborne Prolific which seems to be a much darker fig than that of Osborn Prolific. In other words, I need help with opinions on what varieties are what, which are simply synonyms and what should be taken out/added in to the database. What are your thoughts on these group of varieties?
I will hold off on editing much until I get some comments on here. Perhaps jmrtsus would like to join the database editing team? ;)

Seems to me the Osborn Prolific is one fig and all the others are the Archipel.

I'll tell you what I found on this subject.

Condit says: Osborn Prolific = Rust and DNA testing says it is a singular fig now as it has not shown Synonyms based on the tiny number of DNA tested figs. See below. Closely related to Calimyrna

Osborn = Archipel

Osborn's Prolific = Archipel

Archipel DNA shows 3 Synonyms, Malcoms Super Giant, Drap Dor (D'Or) and, Encanto Brown Turkey of the figs tested. See pic below. Note that Archipel is related to the Alma, a fig created by Texas A&M and a "Golden Celeste" but not known if it is an LSU fig.

See below

Internet shows Osborne, Osborne's Prolific = Neveralla

Condit says Neveralla = Archipel

Neveralla was another made up name for a known fig by a seller.

From Condit; " Neveralla, listed in the 1942 catalogue of Willamette Fig Gardens, Portland, Oregon, by B. R. Amend, has proved at Riverside to be identical with Archipel."

Mr. Amend did the name switch of Lattarula for Blanche later and here Neveralla for Archipel. Shady dude!

Could there be more than one type of fig plant labeled as one of these? I don't need to bet on it is guaranteed. So will we ever know for sure what is what on this fig......yes. As soon as someone with a few years to grow every known plant with similar names to determine which matches which. Who's up for it? Will the sellers try to settle on a single name? What is the temp in hades today?

BTW, Condit's opinion of the Archipel in the garden was of "doubtful value", LOL!

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_10357 Jan. 09 15.18.jpg
    ScreenHunter_10357 Jan. 09 15.18.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 0
  • ScreenHunter_10356 Jan. 09 15.16.jpg
    ScreenHunter_10356 Jan. 09 15.16.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 0

Shaft

Registered
Fundamental
Seems to me the Osborn Prolific is one fig and all the others are the Archipel.

I'll tell you what I found on this subject.

Condit says: Osborn Prolific = Rust and DNA testing says it is a singular fig now as it has not shown Synonyms based on the tiny number of DNA tested figs. See below. Closely related to Calimyrna

Osborn = Archipel

Osborn's Prolific = Archipel

Archipel DNA shows 3 Synonyms, Malcoms Super Giant, Drap Dor (D'Or) and, Encanto Brown Turkey of the figs tested. See pic below. Note that Archipel is related to the Alma, a fig created by Texas A&M and a "Golden Celeste" but not known if it is an LSU fig.

See below

Internet shows Osborne, Osborne's Prolific = Neveralla

Condit says Neveralla = Archipel

Neveralla was another made up name for a known fig by a seller.

From Condit; " Neveralla, listed in the 1942 catalogue of Willamette Fig Gardens, Portland, Oregon, by B. R. Amend, has proved at Riverside to be identical with Archipel."

Mr. Amend did the name switch of Lattarula for Blanche later and here Neveralla for Archipel. Shady dude!

Could there be more than one type of fig plant labeled as one of these? I don't need to bet on it is guaranteed. So will we ever know for sure what is what on this fig......yes. As soon as someone with a few years to grow every known plant with similar names to determine which matches which. Who's up for it? Will the sellers try to settle on a single name? What is the temp in hades today?

BTW, Condit's opinion of the Archipel in the garden was of "doubtful value", LOL!
I for one will be testing as much as I can. I could not imagine history seeing me the way we see Mr. Amend. I'd rather be a seller who is known for the opposite of that

jmrtsus

Registered
Fundamental
I for one will be testing as much as I can. I could not imagine history seeing me the way we see Mr. Amend. I'd rather be a seller who is known for the opposite of that
Mr. Amend is the same as a nursery calling a Scott's Black a Fantasia. I have zero use for either and will never buy from them. Adding unneeded synonyms is stupid for marketing reasons. That is twice for Amend and I bet we find more. I preach not to trust sellers and yes my friend that includes you if they do not know you! (BTW, the OSU you sent has popped a leaf. And one cutting is so large I'll carve a Totem pole on the top and root the bottom.)

If I were you I would drop the OP/Archipel research for a more deserving fig, LOL! Like "Improved Celeste" for example, much more popular than the OP/Archipel and more inquiring minds. I have ICON I think but figs were few last year. Put a post up asking for cuttings to be donated and grow them out. On the other hand grafting would be quicker for fruit production. Fortunately my wife limits my exposure to sharp objects as it usually precedes blood flow. Hell, I even use an electric shaver cause I got tired of starting my day bleeding. So you better get coached up on grafting!
Fig on!

Shaft

Registered
Fundamental
Mr. Amend is the same as a nursery calling a Scott's Black a Fantasia. I have zero use for either and will never buy from them. Adding unneeded synonyms is stupid for marketing reasons. That is twice for Amend and I bet we find more. I preach not to trust sellers and yes my friend that includes you if they do not know you! (BTW, the OSU you sent has popped a leaf. And one cutting is so large I'll carve a Totem pole on the top and root the bottom.)

If I were you I would drop the OP/Archipel research for a more deserving fig, LOL! Like "Improved Celeste" for example, much more popular than the OP/Archipel and more inquiring minds. I have ICON I think but figs were few last year. Put a post up asking for cuttings to be donated and grow them out. On the other hand grafting would be quicker for fruit production. Fortunately my wife limits my exposure to sharp objects as it usually precedes blood flow. Hell, I even use an electric shaver cause I got tired of starting my day bleeding. So you better get coached up on grafting!
Fig on!

Haha, yeah I'd say don't trust sellers, but I am sure most would rather they not be remembered by history as one who performed misdeeds. I'm glad to hear that the OSU wolf totem is doing well =)

I would love to learn more about the ICON situation. The reason I'm curious about Archipel/Osborne is Ross Raddi. I offered him some of my Israeli 7 cuttings when I first joined the scene, and he turned his nose up at it and said it looked like Osborne. Ever since that, I've wanted to know. I don't think it is, and I really want to prove him wrong.

I definitely want to learn to graft. That's this year or next year's project. Depends on how far I get with the excavator.

jmrtsus

Registered
Fundamental
Haha, yeah I'd say don't trust sellers, but I am sure most would rather they not be remembered by history as one who performed misdeeds. I'm glad to hear that the OSU wolf totem is doing well =)

I would love to learn more about the ICON situation. The reason I'm curious about Archipel/Osborne is Ross Raddi. I offered him some of my Israeli 7 cuttings when I first joined the scene, and he turned his nose up at it and said it looked like Osborne. Ever since that, I've wanted to know. I don't think it is, and I really want to prove him wrong.

I definitely want to learn to graft. That's this year or next year's project. Depends on how far I get with the excavator.
I had him on ignore for a long time. Just another self promoting shady seller. Very knowledgeable but couldn't keep his stories straight between his vids and the Forum.

Shaft

Registered
Fundamental
I had him on ignore for a long time. Just another self promoting shady seller. Very knowledgeable but couldn't keep his stories straight between his vids and the Forum.
I didn't see him post on the forum, just old posts before my time. But I watch a lot of his content, learned a lot from him. Then I found out about him being a banned seller on What the Fig, and the story behind that. I used to think when he would talk about "all the knowledge that I have" he sounded pompous. I guess I still do, it's just a thing I can overlook. How was he inconsistent between the videos and the forum?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reggie Eady