What's new
The Fig Spot

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on the site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other fig members through your own private inbox!

These varieties are OUTSTANDING for South Florida

tlbluestone

Fundamental
I've gone through many, many fig varieties. Although not many have made it here, varieties such as Moro di Caneva, Zaffiro etc. However, 2 of my top favorites right now are Nordland and Strawberry Cypress. These 2 are great for our heat, humidity and torrential rains.

View attachment 1713 View attachment 1714

And here they are including a Moro di Caneva
View attachment 1715
I have that Nordland bought it as a Longue d' Aout cutting. I left it grow tall instead of cutting it down for cuttings last winter, but the main stem got sun scolded. It's loaded with figs and I'm hoping that they will ripen and I will be able to get all the cuttings successfully. I had exactly 1 fig from it last year.

sal48

Newly Registered
Registered
My best variety is LSU Purple followed by Peter's Honey (I believe' because I lost the tag) and I have one producing softball-size green fig (i will post when ripe) of unknown name.; it was almost dead 3 years ago but after heavy mulching, last year produced the first crop and this year it has got some too.
It seems to be a unifere fig but because I am in the process of implementing the espalier method, I cannot be certain.

neikom729

Newly Registered
Registered
Brown Turkey fig and the Celeste fig are outstanding varieties to grow. Another excellent choice is the Black Mission fig.

tlbluestone

Fundamental
I have a really nice tree form Celeste and Black Mission, the Black Mission has yet to produce any figs yet. Matter a fact I have three small trees that are Black Mission, the first one I bought for $5 on sale as an annual and then I rooted two cuttings. The two that I rooted are nearly two years old now. It's my understanding that the Black Mission fig is the sweetest of all, I don't know how true that is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Scianna